We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on luggage on El Al

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Carry on luggage on El Al

My wife and I each have a carry on bag (only- as in Rick Steves type packing) on our upcoming flight to Israel going El Al from the New Jersey connection. We successfully did this to Europe. On this trip my wife wants to take presents for her relatives that will take up the space equivalent to another carry on or good sized back pack (the size high schoolers use). El Al appears to permit only one carry on for Economy class, looking at their website. Has anyone else schlepped like this with carry ons or are we better just checking in our bags?

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

It depends on whether the airplane is full or not. Enquire at check in. At a pinch you can always check in one of them.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

Make it easy on yourself and others by checking your bags. Also, do NOT wrap the presents. There is a good chance you will be asked to unwrap them during check in. It's happened to me but that was from LAX, not Missouri.

Dr Z.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

ElAl has ground personnel standing by just as you are about to board the plane. They will take away and check any excess baggage. There is also that metal thing that verifies the size of your bag. They are getting stricter and stricter about the size of carry ons. Bottom line, you will not be able to take a suitcase and a good size back--pack!! There is not sufficient room on the plane and it just isn't fair to other passengers.

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

I am trying to be unfair. Any second bag would go under the seat where most people do not put items, not in the overhead.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

Joe, I am sure you meant to write that you are not trying to be unfair :)

Anyways, I'm sure your intentions are good but rg is correct. If you think the extra backpack is that small to be unobtrusive, perhaps the size of a large purse, then you may be ok. If you try, be prepared to have the bag checked in and pack the bag accordingly. By all means, if you need medications or anything else for the flight keep those things in the carry on bag.

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

oops! yes, NOT. but I will take the advice and check one in. thanks all.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

According to the El Al website, if you are flying economy, you are allowed only one bag per person, and the WEIGHT LIMIT is 17 lbs. They will probably also allow a fairly large handbag.

Though I never saw them weigh the carryons, there is the possibility that if it looks heavy, they will heft it and put it in the hold.

My advice - check your bags.

BTW Qantas has the same limits and in Sydney, they were weighing everyone's carry on.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

I'm not sure that last post is correct. Seventeen pounds for baggage?? Unless I'm looking at the wrong El AL page I see that an individual is allowed 44lbs (20KG) for flights except North American destinations. That's for economy. Higher classes allow more weight.

Is that correct?

Dr. Z

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

Dr.Z--I guess you had a hard day. 17LB is the limit for CARRY-ON, not for general baggage!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry on luggage on El Al

Actually Pitzikat implied 17 lbs was the limit for check in luggage, since she referred separately to "a large handbag" which you could also take on top of it.

And how was your day, Rdglady?