We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Ayalon Institute

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Ayalon Institute

The underground bullet factory near Rehovot looks interesting. Our third day we are planning to go from Tel Aviv to Haifa by train. Is it possible to take the train to this place and then get back on and go to Haifa?

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

Opposite directions sort of -- I'm sure someone can answer the specific train question, so let me touch on the Ayalon Institute itself. It is fascinating, but not sure I'd go far out of my way just for that. All tours are guided and must be scheduled in advance. I don't know if they have a minimum group size -- I've done it with 30 and I've done it with four (definitely better).

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

Before calling to to find out if i could reserve (there are 2 of us) I would see if transportation was workable

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

The train goes to Rehovot but I do not know if it goes near the bullet factory. I found it a short but enjoyable tour. The groups are usually small and they seem to have no minimum. They are also very laid back. The time I went I was driving and due to construction the directions weren't 100% accurate. I was on the phone with them as I drove--and they held the group ( of maybe 5 other people) a few minutes when they realized I'd be maybe 5 minutes late. If you are traveling with kids I would say you should definitely try to go! The other question would be how far, by taxi is the Ayalon from the train station. Maybe one of the Israelis can find out for you--or call from the US ( or try email if they have a email address.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

It's 600 meters away on foot from the train station. As per trains timetable, see rail.org.il

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

The train is very near as Anon said. The area were the train station is and was at the time of the British, played a part in history of the Ayalon Institute. There was also a big British camp there. Check if the train from Rehovot goes to Haifa or if you have to change.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

600 meters!!!! Gads, I would have been better off playing commuter--driving my car to the train station and going by train then all the driving in circles I did.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

I also thought it was much further away, but checked on ymap.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

It is indeed very convenient to travel there by train. Also, it is close to a science park with lots of high-tech companies -- and restaurants! So if you wanted to you could easily eat in the area. A branch of the Cup 'o Joe chain of dairy cafes is located between the train station exit and the Ayalon Institute, so that might work for you. If you want to walk a abit, there are numerous other places to eat.

Unless you are semi-fluent in Hebrew, you may ant to contact the Ayalon Institute to ask when their English tours are scheduled. The times vary.

+972(0)8-9300585

www.ilmuseums.com/museum_eng.asp?id=227

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

The distance from Rehovot train station to Ayalon Institue is about 1100m (not 600m). It is a pleasant walk in Rehovot's and Ness Zionna hitech park. There a re a number coffee shops and restaurants in the area.

When taking the train between Rehovot to Haifa one has to change trains in Tel Aviv - a convenient and well co-ordinated change.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Ayalon Institute

One more thing:

I doubt if it is worth a special trip from Haifa.