We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dickering in Israel

Missouri
Level Contributor
226 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Dickering in Israel

I can figure out how to dicker; I am a little confuse as to WHEN to dicker. Clearly it is part of the fun in the Old City. What about souvenir shops? street vendors? department stores?

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,398 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dickering in Israel

Not in department stores, but try everywhere else.You will from the atittute if you should go on.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dickering in Israel

No point in bargaining in chain stores with computerized bar coded prices and computerized inventory systems. Give it a shot if you want in small individually owned shops.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dickering in Israel

Cool topic! "Dicker" is a new word for me. :P

Any tips for us newbies? :) Is it helpful to dicker in Hebrew? If so, can you teach us a few phrases?

All I know is:

"Kama ze ole?" - How much is this? (Do you ever say "Kama zot olah?")

"shekel/sh'kalim" - shekel/s

The numbers 1-100 (just google it)

"Todah rabah" - Thank you very much

"Ze yakar (me'od)" - That's (very) expensive"

"lo / ken" - no / yes

I want to learn how to say, "How about __ shekels?"

P.S. Please forgive my spelling. I'm not sure how to transliterate the Hebrew.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dickering in Israel

Lovely little dictionary..

When bargaining in Hebrew you are not likely to say "how about 20 shekels" You assertively say "20 shekels !" or even just "20 !!" .

I suspect that a few Hebrew sentences are not enough when you try to bargain. The shop keeper is going to answer in Hebrew and how are you going to understand him? Do you understand "Li ze ole yoter"? (it costs me more) or " al ta'ase mimeni zchok?" (don't rifdicule me) or "ze avodat yad?" (it is hand made)

Bargain in simple english and let the shop keeper struggle the language.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dickering in Israel

Amen to MB's comments.

It's not in the chosen language (assuming the shopkeeper can function in English, which most can, if they cater to tourists). It's in the attitude.

Specifically, it's in the clear willingness to walk away if the price is not acceptable. If the shopkeeper knows you have fallen in love with something, you'll have little leverage.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dickering in Israel

Bargain in your own language. You will be at a disadvantage bargaining in a language in which you are not comfortable. Anyone dealing w/tourists will understand English. Shopkeeps in the Old City shouk are multi-lingual (at least regarding the words relating to the price of their wares).

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,398 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dickering in Israel

There goes all my time and effort learning Hebrew. ;) Well at least I can still use "Eyfo ha sherutim?" (Where's the bathroom?). LoL

Douglas, by "it's in the attitude" do you mean we should look uninterested? I would think it'd help to walk in with a friendly "shalom" and a smile, no?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,292 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dickering in Israel

I'll answer for Doug. By attitude he means towards the object you want to purchase. When the shopkeeper knows you have totally absolutely fallen in love with something, he is less likely to bargin. ( or han-dle) If you keep your interest level light--almost as if YOU are doing HIM a favor by getting the object out of HIS store, then you can go further. Be prepared to walk out of the store and maybe, sometimes even not get an item. BTW assume ALL shopkeepers understand fluent English. On the side conversations with a traveling companion--are frequently understood--even by the shopkeeper who claims to know only a minimal amount of English. (hey two can play the game--I do the same at times in reverse)

9. Re: Dickering in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 06:33