We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about traveling Israel & Jordan during Passover

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about traveling Israel & Jordan during Passover

So, we made the commitment to go to Israel this year for the kids spring break, only to find out that Passover will be the last 5 days of our trip (and Holy Week too!!). I have read all the posts about crowds, increased hotel costs and min. hotel stays of up to a week. I wish I could change the dates of spring break but I can't - and this is my daughter's senior year so likely the last time we can all go together for awhile - this would be our first trip to Israel.

So, I am considering doing the Dead Sea portion from Jordan as well as staying in Aqaba instead of Eilat and doing Petra from there, so the last days would be spent in Jordan instead of Israel. So, my questions are:

1. Am I right in assuming I won't have the same issues in Jordan regarding Passover/Holy Week that I would in Israel?

2. Passover starts on Tues. March 30 so I assume will start sundown on Mon. March 29. Will the hotels start the min. stays/price increases on Monday or will they start the weekend before?

We would really like to make this work so any advice would be appreciated. Right now thinking of arriving March 19 or 20 and leaving April 3.

Thanks!

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about traveling Israel & Jordan during Passover

I assume that you're actually talking about spring break 2010 ....

Yes, the prices and minimum stays are going to make your last few days in Israel more difficult, so you might very well be better off spending them in Jordan, especially if you are interested in visting the sights there. I haven't actually been there, but I have read that the Dead Sea hotels on the Jordanian side are very luxurious. So, that could be a good solution.

The prices will probably be higher than normal already from the weekend prior to Passover, but I would imagine that they will still be a lot cheaper than over Passover itself, and you should still be able to get short stays until Sunday or Monday. However, since we are almost a year away, it's a bit difficult to say for sure.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about traveling Israel & Jordan during Passover

Just to clarify, when I wrote "the prices will probably be higher..." I mean the prices in Israel.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about traveling Israel & Jordan during Passover

Thanks Debi, and yes I did mean Spring break 2010 - I should have said "we made the commitment to go to Israel NEXT year for the kids spring break."

4. Re: Questions about traveling Israel & Jordan during Passover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 06:23