We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel Dorms

San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Hostel Dorms

I will be in Israel next month on vacation. I am staying mostly in youth hostels in the male dorms because that was what's in my budget. I am in my early 20's, and I have tried to research and book the safest and cleanest places possible. However, I'm slightly nervous about staying in a dorm full of guys I don't know. Is there anything I should be aware of? Obviously, I know to be polite and considerate of the other people. Have any of you stayed in a single sex dorm, specifically a male one? What is some good dorm ettiquette, what should I expect, and how do I keep myself and my belongings safe?

Also, and this may sound dumb, is it alright to sleep in one's undergarments in a same sex dorm or should I be more conservative? How "open" are these environments? I'm not trying to be offensive with my questions, but I honestly would like to know before I go on vacation and don't know who else to ask.

Thank you so much.

Zachary

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel Dorms

I can't answer your questions, but you can look at http://www.backpackingisrael.com/ for more information. Maybe use the forum there.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel Dorms

Sleeping in your undergarments is just fine in Hostel dorms. You'll find the other guys are mostly young people from Europe and the USA and accustomed to casual behavior.

Dorm rooms are generally very friendly places where people strike up casual relationships. Sometimes you can find people you might want to hang out with on a day trip if you are looking for company. However respect privacy. If someone obviously does not want a conversation and keeps to themselves, them let them be.

Never, ever leave anything of real intrinsic value in a dorm room, even if you leave for just a few minutes. This includes money, credit cards, passport, ipod, cel phone, camera etc etc. Bring a good sturdy day pack with you and carry all your valuables around, all the time. Take the pack with you even when you go to the bathroom or to breakfast. You may regret it if you don't.

If there is a Hostel safe, then you can leave some of your valuables there. It's also good practice to have a main backpack that you can seal with a small padlock. During the day put all your stuff in it and lock it. That way your clothes, books, sandals etc will not be a temptation to a casual pilferer.

Common sense should dictate your actions. Basically you can't trust people you only just met, even if they seem like nice people.

Have a good time.

---

Fred Schlomka

north carolina
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel Dorms

Hello,

Which hostels will you be using? I did the hostel route on my last trip. In the hostels I used outside of Jerusalem I stayed in the dorms but still ended up having the room to myself (mitzpe ramon, masada, galilee). In Eilat I had 2 roomates and we prety much kept to ourselves. In Jerusalem I was in the Citadel and it was a full house. Hanging out in the common area I did get to meet a group and we ended up touring arond some together. I havent used it so cant testify to it but if you go to a good back packing store they have this net like thing that you can wrap aroudn a back pack and padlock it.

Joe

San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel Dorms

Hi Joe,

I'm staying mostly in IYHA hostels. However, in J'slem I'm staying in J'slem Hostel and Guest House and in Tel Aviv I'm staying in Old Jaffa guest house. You say you often had the room to yourself? Thanks for the advice on the backpack.

Zachary

San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostel Dorms

Thanks for the advice on how to keep my belongings safe. I will definitely use the safe if the hostel has one and try to find some backpack with a lock on it. My biggest concern is keeping things safe while I am asleep: I can guard my belongings in the day, but I don't want someone sneaking into my bag while I am sleeping and wake up finding my passport is gone. Will a bag with a lock be the best way to prevent that or do you think I should put my most valualbe items in the safe/locker?

Thanks

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostel Dorms

A far as I know, iyha hostels are all private rooms, not dorm-style rooms, so nobody will have access to your belongings but yourself.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostel Dorms

We have had several travelers that stayed in hostels and never had a complaint on stolen property. There was a guy from Alaska that stayed in an hostel in Tel Aviv in dorms and the location could be better that had valuable cameras, nothing happened to him. I don't remember his nickname. He wrote long reports.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostel Dorms

I think it is travelsmith or walkabouttravelgear that sells a plastic airtight container to hold a passport if you want to go swimming :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,729 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostel Dorms

I'm with Fred on this one. If you are staying with a room full of strangers, all it takes is one dishonest person to ruin your vacation. That may be the only dishonest person who has stayed at the hostel in the past 3 years, but if you are his victim....

10. Re: Hostel Dorms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 06:24