We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very early morning flight from TLV

USA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
very early morning flight from TLV

I am considering an itinerary that would involve a 5am (Lufthansa) departure from TLV for our flight back to the States. Will be with 2 kids. Seems miserable. Too early to bother getting a hotel the night before. Any bright ideas? Maybe get to the airport at 11pm, check in, go through security, and get a few hours sleep at the gate? Would that work with security at the airport, etc.?

Mentioned in this post
YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

I've taken that flight on a number of occasions and always spend the night in Tel Aviv prior, and usually get to the airport around 3AM. Check with the airline, as I don't think the check-in counter will open until 2AM. It used to be convenient when Lufthansa had the early check-in at Arlozorov, but that doesnt exist any longer. A few hours sleep in a hotel is always beneficial, considering you will have a long day ahead of you with the transfer at Frankfurt.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

simply tell yourself that you are staying and paying for an additional night in the hotel. Put the kids to sleep at 9 PM and leave the hotel after sleeping a few hours at 01:45. This way you will be refreshed, and not dead tired after walking the streets from the checkout time (usually around noon). I also doubt if the Lufthansa counter will be open before 2AM.

It is not an unusual hour for flights to depart Israel. Many European airlines and ElAl flights fly around this time. And actually it isn't that bad: I usually fallasleep the moment I get to the seat...

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
USA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

Thanks. In some ways, I am thinking that going to a hotel in Tel-Aviv and having to leave at 2:15am would be more painful than just staying at the airport. Good idea to check with LH when their counter opens. I may try to switch the return to Air Canada's midnight flight -- that seems much more civilized.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

You probably won't be able to check in early. Even El Al, with check-in open virtually 24/7 only open their flights for check-in about 3 hours before departure.

Your only other option seems to be leaving your luggage with the hotel and hanging out somewhere in town or just sitting in the hotel lobby. Depends on how comfy the lobby is and how old the kids are.

USA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

Are there cafes in Tel-Aviv that are open all night, where we could sit around until 2am or so, drinking meediocre decafinated coffee, and bemoaning the fact that we did not take the Air Canada flight?

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

You will find a number of places in Tel Aviv for better than mediocre coffee. As for bemoaning the Air Canada flight, why would you do that...you're on vacation...enjoy...actually on a long layover in Frankfurt, you can take the S-Bahn, 8 Euros I think, into the city (it's only 10 minutes and check out the old town there and the Jewish Museum if that's of interest) Or you can go to Mainz which is 10 minutes the other way which was the home to some of the greatest rabbis in Jewish history (Rashi, Gershom etc.) http://www.jgmainz.de/

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

I, too, have done that flight. While I vastly prefer the Delta option of flying out the night before on an overnight basis, I agree with erirya and several others. Pay for the hotel room, get at least some sleep, and hope to sleep on the plane some. You can't really stay at the airport because you can't check in that early. And if you try to tough it through sitting in some cafe, you really will be exhausted.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

A trip to Israel is not a cheap affair. Paying for an additional night is a drop in the sea in the total cost. Carrying children and your self till 2AM without resting properly, washing up, and changing cloths seems to me like such an unfortunate way to end a trip.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
9. Re: very early morning flight from TLV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 06:30