We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

In a couple of weeks we will be driving from Zichron Yaacov into Jerusalem. I have Carta maps and Google maps, but I am just wondering if there is any special tips anyone might have. Is there any road construction that might make things complicated? We will be driving on a Tuesday morning, and will be headed to the Eldan car agency (24 King David Street)to return our rental car.

Many thanks.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
713 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

To avoid morning traffic best to hit Jerusalem at around 10 that way you should miss most of the tail backs.

Adam

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

I assume you are coming in on highway 1. If so, right after the new bridge ( forget its' name, big modern thing--held up with 'strings) you go straight on Ben Tzvi ( I think signs say Rehavia/ Kotel/ to Ruppin. ( it is right after the Wolfson Buildings--large apartment buildings) You make a left on Ruppin--it IS a major left, 2 lanes and go straight up onto Rambam. ( most cars will be doing this, --it is a left, then bear left) continue straight on Rambam until it becomes one way the wrong way and make a right and a left to continue straight. You will now be on Azza for about 2 blocks. Stay straight on Azza, cross Keren Ha-Yesod ( big street) and Rambam becomes Agron ( large supermarket on your left) continue down Agron, one long block and at the bottom make a right onto David Hamelch. Go up David Hamelech to Eldan!

Hope this helps!!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

rglady's directions are good. The bridge is called the Chords Bridge and is a remarkable structure designed by the famous Spaniard, Santiagao Calatrava.

Tips?

If you miss a street, don't panic, just pull over where safe and check the map.

Street names are often spelled multiple ways. For example, AZZA was one of the streets given to you by rglady. This street is also commonly listed as DERECH GAZA. This is a very common situation.

Street signs are notoriously placed in the most inconspicuous place possible. Try to have a spotter or someone familiar with map reading to assist you while driving. It's best to concentrate on driving without too much distraction while in Jerusalem.

Enjoy the ride and don't let anyone honking at you get under your skin.

Dr. Z

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the very detailed directions! I am a bit anxious about driving in Israel, even though I am an experienced driver with many years of experience in the NY/NJ metropolitan area, but this is the first time ever we've rented a car overseas. I am sure that your instructions will make it all much easier.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

Dr. Z--Thanks for supplying the name of the bridge and the important caution of inconsistent spellings of names. ( I was working off of a tourist map to get street names because I just do it--without knowing the streets I am traveling on!)

I think I forget the bridge name because although I find the bridge beautiful and fascinating I do not feel it, a very very modern structure, belongs in Jerusalem--an old an ancient city whose building code mandates all buildings be built with Jerusalem stone!!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

Since the first drawings came out for this bridge, which by the way is a very functional bridge for the light rail system, there has been considerable scrutiny about the design. He tried to make the thing look like a harp and I think he succeeded in doing that.

I also feel that an old city like Jerusalem is wise to have such a strict buliding code in order to keep its character but I also feel its important for a major city to embrace modern architecture, design, and building materials when appropriate.

Dr. Z

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

If you time your journey to arrive in Jerusalem around 10 am, this will put you right in the middle of rush hour traffic in the Tel Aviv area. I'd suggest a leisurely breakfast in Zichron and planning to get to Jerusalem closer to midday.

From Zichron, I would take Rt 70 west to Hwy 2, south through Herzlya, then on to Rt 20 (Ayalon Freeway) through Tel Aviv, then follow the lanes to Jerusalem (Hwy 1).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

Those of us who live here would be more impressed if the bridge which CANNOT be seen in all its glory when entering the city (ironically the best view is as you leave) was serving a purpose more practical than as a fancy foot-bridge.

It cost untold fortunes to build and is intended to be part of the light rail system.

Unfortunately the light rail system is foundering, way behind schedule, eating up money which is now running out, causing havoc and misery to any one trying to get about the city other than on foot - and even there as well on occassion.

The bridge which is supposed to be a symbol of Jerusalem (the Holy Sepulchre, Dome of the Rock, Kotel weren't good enough symbols?) promises to be a symbol of incompetent city planning for many years to come

Oh well, welcome to Israel. We love her anyway!

Pamela Levene

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

I would seriously recommend that as you get to the Binyane Ha'uma (the International Conference Centre Building) you pull in. There will be taxis there. Call one and pay him to lead you to the Eldan. It will save you worry, aggravation and time. Even to get to the Eldan car lot is complicated.

It is on King David Street but there is no access there. You have to get to it from a one-way street from the side - and yes you guessed it. One way leading INTO King David Street.

Tell the taxi driver to put his meter on.

For maybe 30 shekels you will have peace of mind!

Pamela

USA
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips for driving into Jerusalem?

I had a hard time going the opposite direction, leaving Jerusalem from Eldan. I saw parts of Jerusalem I'd never seen before!

Leave yourself plenty of time in case you get lost or run into traffic. If you arrive early, you can return your car and have a nice brunch at the YMCA 3 Arches.

BTW, there is a gas station right across from Eldan, so you can fill up your rental car. When I returned one to Eldan in TA, by the time I got to the Eldan office it was down by 1/8 tank from full and they charged me for that.

(I was very happy with the car)