We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline?

Bethpage, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Which airline?

Hello. I am planning to fly to Israel in November, leaving from the NYC area. El Al I know has the most excellent security, but there are other airlines that have cheaper flights. Are these just as secure? I want to spend less money, but not at the expense of security. I took El Al the one and only previous time I went to Israel and was impressed with the security.

Thanks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,692 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline?

I fly only ElAl. They wrote the book on security and frequently act as consultants to other airlines. Exactly what they do and what others do --is confidential to the public. I know others who take all sorts of airlines. ie. my friends kids just flew Turkish Air. Only you can examine your own comfort level and decide which airline is best for you. They ALL claim security and none will share ( for good reason) exactly what they are doing.

BTW Welcome to the Israel fourm!

Bethpage, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline?

Thanks, rdglady! Yeah, I think I already knew the answer to this question, so it's good to hear. I'll go with El Al. And, thanks for the welcome. I'm excitedly planning my trip- second time only- and I'm finding these forums really helpful.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline?

The security is the same for all flights going out of Israel, so the only difference is the flight to Israel. The passengers are hardly questioned on the other airlines, but I assume that the luggage checks (that you don't see) are the same.

So the trade-off is security vs price AND the opportunity to spend a few days in the European city of your choice at no extra airfare cost.

It is all a question of how you personally assess the risk; if you are terrified of hijacking then go for the El-Al flight, no matter what the cost. If you think that the risk is minimal then opt for the cheaper fare and/or European stopover.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline?

Hi MGR3043,

Due to scheduling we fly Friday nights, and have used Continental and Delta non stop from NYC to TLV. The flights were very good and we are planning another trip May 2010. Be aware that El Al does not fly on Friday and Jewish Holidays. Have a great flight and a wonderful vacation.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline?

The advice given to you thus far is right on.

I have flown to Israel on El Al, Lufthansa, Delta and Continental. My experiences have all been positive. Yes, El Al offers that added security flying out of the USA. If that is extremely important to your peace of mind then El Al is the only way to go. Nowadays I will fly whichever airline offers me only 1 change of planes and gets me into Israel in the morning. It's a very individual decision.

ENJOY!

Kathy Walters

cakywalters@iquest.net

Paragon, Indiana, USA

Bethpage, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline?

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I have to think about it but will take all this into consideration!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airline?

FWIW - I have always been comfortable with the security measures of U.S. airports and have never chosen to fly El Al transatlantic. I sometimes fly El Al to other destinations, not because of security but because of convenience of timetables and/or lower prices.

8. Re: Which airline?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 06:18