We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
174 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

Does anyone know how long it would take us to drive from the Golan Heights area (not sure yet where we will be) to Ein Gedi? And what route would we take to get there? Thanks!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

Roughly 5 hours - you can go by Tzemach junction and down Bet Shean and road 90, which some people don't do mainly because the road is a bit narrow, or down the middle of the country which will take longer. Once you know exactyly where you are staying, we can better advise you.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

Rd 90 is not narrow. It is indeed a 2 lane rd but it was renewed lately and fixed and it is a fine rd.

Taking Rd 90 is the shortest way to the Dead Sea area from the north of israel and i wouldn't use any other way.

BTW rd 90 is the longest rd in Israel and starts at Taba on the border of Egypt and ends at the border with Lebanon at Metula. on the way it goes along the border with Jordan.

Edited: 03 January 2010, 10:24
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

From Katzrin (middle of Golan) to Ein Gedi : 204 km (via route 90). Should take about 2:30 hours.

Edited: 03 January 2010, 20:48
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
174 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

Thanks, folks! Wow--5 hours is a lot more than I was expecting; 2 1/2 is much more what I was hoping for. Any explanation for the difference in your estimates? I'm glad to hear it's fine to go down Route 90.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
83 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

2-1/2 hours sounds about right; it took us 2 hours from Metulla to Qumran on Hwy. 90 (which was a decent highway), including stopping for gas. Reminded me a lot like driving along the Colorado river in the Mojave Desert; desert on one side of the roads, farms on the other. I kept thinking to myself "I sat on a plane 15 hours to see Needles?..."

CT
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

I just did the drive myself this past summer down Rt 90 and it was at night. 2 1/2 hours sounds about right. There were absolutly no problems. Thats the way to go.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

My estimate was for the middle of the country and from the tip of the Golan, with pit stops. 2 1/2 hrs sounds a bit hurried

8. Re: How long is drive from Golan Heights area to Ein Gedi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 06:20