We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM question

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
173 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
ATM question

Somewhere in my research in these forums I remember reading that in order to use your ATM card in Israel, you needed to have a PIN that had a certain number of digits. Of course, I can't track that info down now, so I'm wondering if anyone can remind me what the story is on this. Thanks!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM question

4 digits is normal for an ATM pin.

Avigail

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM question

Yes, 4 digits is the norm for Israel and Europe. I have heard of some US credit card holders having trouble with it.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM question

I think 4 is common everywhere but the US has some who may have more.

When you call your bank and advise them you are going overseas, they will most likely ask you if you have a 4 digit pin. I have used my 4 digit pin in Europe, Asia, Australia/NZ and S America no problems

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
284 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM question

It apears you are from TX........ I presume you have 4 digit PIN. We used our USA cards with 4 digit PIN and had no problems in Israel ......and in Egypt.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM question

Thanks so much, everyone! I had somehow thought I remembered reading it was more complicated than this, but it sounds pretty straightforward.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM question

Hi! Also, if your AMerican PIN includes letters make sure you know the number equivalent since ATM machines usually DO NOT have the alphabet on them.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM question

I have been told that some ATMs do NOT work with a pin number that begins with ZERO. You can change your ATM pin number before you travel.

At Bank of America you can do this at the ATM machine itself, but at other banks you probably have to speak with a bank representative.

Israel
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM question

just make sure you let your bank know in advance that you're traveling overseas so they don't put a hold on your account, otherwise you should be fine!

:)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM question

I've never told my bank I was traveling overseas and it hasn't been a problem. Maybe it depends on what bank you use?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM question

While it may depend on your bank--it is hard to find out 6,000 miles from home that you should have told them. You never know with banks. I once DID get stopped and the woman, when I called the US basically told me to call back in 4 hours because the computers were down for their daily maintenace--or uploading of data or something. It may have been the dead of night in the US, but it wasn't in israel. Last week I purchased a new computer and the store had to call for security clearance. I called too and was told that electronic store purchases above a certain amount ( don't ask....) are automatically suspect.