We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Hi! I’m sorry that this posting is months late. It’s been a busy New Year! I wanted to share information about our wonderful 2nd trip to Israel. We left on Christmas Eve from NYC, flew El Al, had absolutely no problems. After arriving in TLV, we went to Jerusalem and spent four nights at the Citadel. Our last trip, we stayed at the King David, so we wanted to try something different. We enjoyed the Citadel, especially their breakfasts on the terrace overlooking the old city and Jaffa Gate. The concierge was very helpful. The only problem we had with the hotel is that they started remodeling the floorboards right outside our room at 8am. Although it got us up and out, it was a rude awakening. For foodies: We ate dinner at Arcadia (not kosher), Canela (kosher), 1896 (Kosher), La Boca (Kosher).

In Jerusalem, we spent some time in the old city and the kotel. Since we have spent in Jerusalem before we didn’t feel the need to tour and just wanted to wander around ourselves. We rented a car and took two-day trips from Jerusalem. One was down to the Negev and we went on a jeep tour of the desert and the Ramon Crater with Adam Sela (Adamsela.com) (Thanks to Doug Duckett). He was FANTASTIC! He was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Our second day trip was to Bet Guvrin to see the bell caves. It was a cool site to see and a beautiful day to guide ourselves around the site. On the way back to Jerusalem we stopped at Ella Valley Winery, which was SUPERB. I totally recommend it. Before we left Jerusalem for our trip up north, we stopped at the Mahaneh Yehuda and got the BEST rugallah at Mascarpone.

On the way to the Golan, we stopped at the ancient Roman city of Bet She’an. We continued on and drove passed Tiberias and stopped to take a picture by the Kineret. We then stayed two nights at a spa and working farm: Mitzpe Hayamim. This was a pretty cool place, slightly outdated, but all the food is fresh from the farm and the service is great. We were upgraded to the presidential suite that overlooked the Hula Valley and Rosh Pina. A vegetarian dinner is included, so we ate at the buffet one night and the very elegant Muscat the next night. (Both are on hotel property). Adam Sela (from the Negev) recommended his friend Elan to take us on a jeep tour of the Golan Heights. He really knew the ins and outs of this area. It wasn’t the best weather day, but all the sites we saw were breathtaking. Totally worth it! We even spent some time in Metulla observing the activity of Lebanon.

We then headed back down to Tel Aviv. On the way we stopped at Zikhron Ya'akov, walked around the shops and visited Carmel Winery. We continued driving south and stopped in Netanya to just walk around. Finally making it to the Dan Hotel in Tel Aviv. Last trip we stayed at the Hilton (which we preferred). The hotel was nice, but the rooms were slightly dated and the bathroom was tiny. We spent our last two days walking around Tel Aviv, visiting the port, and seeing some long lost family. We ate a Forlin (fish) and Amici (Italian) for dinner.

Of course, I can’t go into detail about every aspect. If you want any info about something particular, please email me! –Becky

We have to thank Douglas Duckett and all the other tripadvisor contributors. We can’t wait to return!

Ein Gedi Botanical Garden
Deserts, Gardens, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Bokek River
Canyons, Deserts, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Antelope Ranch in the Arava Valley
Deserts, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

I just loved your report ... we're going to Israel in August with a similar itinerary starting in Jerusalem, to Mitzpe Ramon, to Amirim, to Tel Aviv with a possible stop in Zichron Yaacov (I love Tishbi winery's restaurant) - and I just booked a jeep tour with Adam Sela for our visit to Mitzpe Ramon.

Thanks so much for sharing...!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Thanks for the kind words, and you are welcome.

But thank you even more for your trip report! Glad you loved Adam Sela -- and not at all surprised. Thank you for sharing it. Better late than never! :-)

If you can, stick around and share our expertise with others now.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Glad you had a great time. Thanks for posting

Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Of the restaurants you listed, which can you recommend?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Are you interested in the Jerusalem, Mitzpe Hayamim or Tel Aviv restaurants? I can be more specific once I know your trip plan!

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Hi, did you take the 2 hour or the 4 hour tour with Adam ... i was thinking that perhaps 4 hours may be too much driving around in a jeep? Also, which restaurants would you recommend in Tel Aviv (for dinner)? We are leaving in less than 2 weeks and i'm so excited! :)

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Many thanks for your trip report! Welcome home and come back soon!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

We took a pretty long tour with Adam, I believe it was longer than 4 hours, but you really need that amount of time. There's a ton to see! Also, we stopped for lunch and had coffee in the desert (which was really cool). We were also driving down for Jerusalem, so we needed a whole day. In Tel Aviv I recommend Messa and Amici (owned by the same people). I would also recommend eating one night in the port area on the water. Maybe at the Dolphin? Also, you can't miss Yitzkak gadol in Yaffa (its touristy, but something to see/do). Have the best time!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

I'd recommend four hours as well. Two hours would be too superficial.

Douglas Duckett

nmb74
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A very delayed Trip Report...So Sorry!

Have any of you been to Petra via Eilat? We are thinking of driving a rental car from Tel Aviv to Eilat perhaps via Arad to visit relattives? I have read a little about Route 90. Any words of wisdom on Petra, Route 90, the drive? Not sure if we do a day trip to Petra or stay overnight and do Wadi Rum second day or all in one day.