We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

NY
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

I would like to pick up a rental car in Jeruslam(after I have spent 5 nights in Jerusalem with no car) to tour Northern coast(Haifa and north).

Can I rent & pick up a car in Jerusalem, maybe at my Hotel, (do not want to go back to airport to pick up car) will I be able to pick up car on my last day in Jersulam to travel northern coast and then Drop off car in Tel Aviv (when I arrive in Tel Aviv so will not have to have car for the 4 nights in Tel Aviv )

Can a rental car be picked up in Jerusalem to travel northern coat and dropped off in Tel Aviv??

Any recommendations as to which companies, where the pick up and drop off might be,(don't want to go back to airport)...Do Hotels offer this service??Do the car rental companies have pick up in Jerusalem and drop off in Tel Aviv??

Thanks for your help.

USA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

What you propose is very common. We are doing the same thing. There is no need to go to the airport unless you are picking up or dropping off the car on the Jewish sabbath (Friday afternoon through Saturday night), when car rental places other than at the airport are closed. We are renting from Avis - picking up near King David in Jerusalem and dropping off on HaYarkon in Tel-Aviv. Other car rental companies also have places in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv, and it is no problem to pick up car at one and drop at the other. You can check rates, etc. on line. (By the way, I have found the rates quite reasonable).

NY
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I will probably need to pick up car in Jerusalem on a Friday morning.

Do you think that would be a problem?

I plan on staying at David Citadel..Do you think I would be able to Pick Up car at the hotel? or close to the hotel?

I plan stay at Dan Tel Aviv,Do you think I could drop off car at hotel? or close to hotel?

Checking rates on line seems to be difficult since I'm picking up at one place and dropping off at another. Though I haven't checked out the Avis sight.

You mentioned Avis rates are good; in general what would a week economy car cost?

Thanks again for your help.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

I'd suggest you to check Eldan, their branches are conveniently located just across the hotels in both Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, both seem to be open on Fridays.

You can check rates and all the information on their website at www.eldan.co.il

Nathalie

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

All the main rental companies have a branch in Jerusalem and they are located at David Street close to your hotel.

My experience is that Budget was the cheapest every time I checked. The Jerusalem branch is just by the King David hotel 3 min walk from your hotel. The Tel Aviv branch is in the Dan Hotel in Tel Aviv.

In Tel Aviv most of the rental companies offices are on the Yarkon St in walking distance from the Dan so you won't have any problem.

Just remember to check about the mileage limitation. When you rent for only 2 days it is up to 200-250km a day!

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
87 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

There shouldn't be a problem picking up on Friday morning, just make sure you reserve a car.

Also Israel is so small that there is no problem picking up in Jerusalem and dropping off in Tel Aviv. I think the only place there is a surcharge is if you drop it off at the airport (no idea why!) or perhaps if you were to drive it to Eilat and leave it there.

USA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

I am paying about US$250 for 8 days, for a small automatic car, including the CDW, picking up in Jerusalem and dropping off in Tel-Aviv. Friday morning pickup in Jerusalem is no problem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Unlike the US picking up a vehicle and dropping it off elsewhere is no problem--it is more then norm than the exception in Israel. As already mentioned, except for the airport and maybe Eilat there is NO surcharge for doing this. ALL the websites seem to facilitate this and I don't understand why you are having a problem. The hotels do NOT have car rentals and agencies expect you to get yourself to them. However, the agencies are a 5 minute walk from your hotel in Jerusalem and maybe a few minutes longer in Tel Aviv. You are making mountains out of molehills, relax and enjoy!

OH yes, ALL the agencies are open Friday--but will closer earlier than on other days because of Shabbat.

8. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 04:19
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

Some larger rental agencies will bring the car to your hotel if you are renting it for a week or longer. The cost for pick-up/return at the airport is due to the $27 aiport tax collected for the airport (same thing you pay when purchasing an airline ticket, but less money). This tax is paid in alot of countries, not only Israel, but you usually don't notice it.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

Chana--WHICH larger companies? Inasmuch that is something I have never heard of or never seen offered ( and I always rent for more than a week!) Please back t hat with verifiable fact so the OP isn't led on a wild goose chase for something that doesn't exist.