We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel Map for Driving

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Israel Map for Driving

My family of 4 will tour Israel this summer (July/August) using rental car. Can someone recommend a good English map?

It would be good if the map included PA controlled areas.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel Map for Driving

Carta Maps makes good maps for the area. I normally have a few Carta maps when I visit and have not been misdirected yet.

If you are renting a car you will not be allowed to enter the Palestinian Authority Controlled areas.

Where is it you want to go?

p.s. Carta has a website with a selection of their maps. Go to http://www.carta.co.il/?page_id=129

Edited: 17 May 2010, 03:13
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,039 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel Map for Driving

As mentioned CARTA is one good map. Personally I use a book of maps by a company called MAPA. I find they are terrific. PA controlled areas ie. Bethlehem, Ramallah, Jenin, Kalkiya, Nabulus etc. are areas where you are not permitted to bring an Israeli rental. If you are talking about areas in disputed territories, they are under Israeli control and in Israeli maps.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel Map for Driving

Do you mean a map with the boundaries of PA-controlled areas marked on it? They are marked in colour in the Mapa road atlas, presumably the same for Carta. You will also see huge red road signs at the entrance to area A, forbidding Israelis from entering.

Avigail

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel Map for Driving

Both Carta and Mapa mark the areas of Judea and Samaria (disputed areas) in brown -- fulled PA controlled and yellow -- under Israeli control and possible to take in a rented car. They are both excellent.

Chana

Israel

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel Map for Driving

Great Info.

There are two interesting Carta maps.

- Israel Touring Atlas & Easy Guide (96 pgs) - $23.40

- Israel Road Atlas (96 pgs) - $17.95

I have ordered the Touring Atlas which includes some site information. Careful about shipping. Site below defaults to $20 Express delivery. I chose $6 regular mail.

bible-books-maps.com/Road-Maps-Guides/Israel…

Thanks for your help.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel Map for Driving

You won't be disappointed. If you bought the smaller size version take a magnifying glass, as the print is quite small to read, especially to those who need reading glasses. The bigger size is fine for reading.

Chana

Israel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
142 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel Map for Driving

(Sorry for all of the questions, but our trip is in less than 2 weeks and we are finally getting time for serious planning.... And the advice on this forum is phenomenal!)

I have unfortunately waited too long to order a map book, and it looks like I would have to pay a very high charge to have it delivered to me in Washington, D.C. If I cannot find the CARTA Touring Atlas and Easy Guide or equivalent by MAPA in a map store here, do you think I will be able to buy that map book in English, or a similar one by MAPA, at Ben Gurion when I arrive? (If so, at what store?)

Is it worth buying CARTA or MAPA maps of Jerusalem, the Old City, Tel Aviv, and/or Haifa, or are free maps at tourist offices about as good? Are there maps with bus routes in the 3 major cities? We will only be driving to our hotel in Haifa and Eldan car rental offices in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, but we will be walking and taking buses a lot, and we will not have a GPS.

(I do love good maps.)

Thanks,

Len

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,039 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel Map for Driving

Steinmetsky Book store ( my spelling is off) at the airport should have one or both of the books. If not any large Steimetsky in a major city.

When you arrive at the airport there are a number of places to get free city maps. 1.Ask the tourist info booth--in the luggage retrieval area 2. Before you leave the luggage area, in the middle--closest to the side of the room where you walk out (this will make sense when there) you can find sometimes maps and usually the latest edition of In Israel.

Tel Aviv has a great tourist information place, as does Jerusalem and Haifa. It is not necessary to buy them. BTW the rental agency will give you a decent map--but the books are better! ( larger)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel Map for Driving

If you can't get city maps at the airport you should be able to pick them up at your hotel - ask the concierge or the front desk if you don't see them on display - they are free and the hotel should have one of its city for you.

There are no maps with city bus routes but don't be shy - ask people. Start out with the concierge and then as you make your way around a city ask people at the site you are visiting, at a bus stop, the bus driver, people waiting at a bus stop - Israelis are notoriously helpful.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Israel Map for Driving

You can purchase the map atlas in the airport, both Carta and Mapa are excellent. There is a map available for the Dan bus lines which run in Tel Aviv and surroundings. You may be able to purchase such a map in the central bus station.

The free maps available at tourist information centers and hotels are good for locating important sites but should not be used for driving around, especially in the cities which have alot of one way streets which are not marked on the free maps.

Chana

Israel