We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem hotels

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Jerusalem hotels

My thanks to all of you for your kind advice on hotels in Tel Aviv. I am making my first trip to Israel the end of August. Because of your good advice, I was able to get the Sheraton for seven nights with a sea view and balcony and including breakfast on their Club floor for an extremely favorable rate, much better than anything offered by Leonardo Plaza, Renaissance, Crown Plaza, and Dan Panorama.

Now, I am turning my sights on to Jerusalem. I am looking for a good location,quiet surroundings, four or five-star accommodations. As you can see,I like a bit of comfort;I guess it goes with being 74.

1. Re: Jerusalem hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 21:09
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem hotels

The top hotels in Jerusalem are the new Mamilla, David's Citadel, and the venerable King David. You then have the Inbal and the Dan Panorama. I do not know exactly what you are looking for. Also, you say quiet--all are in the city. Get a high floor since quiet is relative.

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem hotels

You're from Queens, right? I'm in Long Beach.

Someone just recommended Dan's Boutique. Know anything about that?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerusalem hotels

Everyone has their own impression of what a top hotel should be like. I would read the reviews on tripadvisor carefully and look at the pics tourists take for the hotels you are interested in and see if it sounds like the kind of hotel you would like.

I personally like smaller hotels. My favorite hotel in Jerusalem is The American Colony. It is a small boutique hotel and quite different and lovely in my opinion. The restaurants are not kosher which is a huge plus to me but obvioulsy a big negative if you keep kosher.

The King David is very nice as well. The rooms are quite nice. However I found the staff aloof and a bit disdainful. I also thought the prices for what you get are a bit too high. Of the hotels I have seen but not stayed at I like the Inbal for the money. For a really good budget boutique hotel The Harmony cannot be beat but it is not up there with The American Colony, King David or the David Citadel (which looks like a prison to me) by any means.

The Dan Panorama is not up there as a great Jerusalem Hotel. It is ok but not a top hotel.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerusalem hotels

The American Colony is a famous hotel for all the foreign journalists and politicians staying there like Tony Blair. Good for gossip, or in a more polite way - exchanging information. Something very important in the Middle East politics. But it is way out from whatever a tourist wants. You cannot get out and walk to a restaurant or just strech your legs. An hotel in what is called the new city is better. The very top hotels like King David might be emptied in a moment if a president or other VIP gets to Israel and this is quite common. Lets see what the Jerusalem DEs have to say, as I have said many times, I can comment only on location.

Edited: 29 May 2010, 09:13
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerusalem hotels

Shoshi:

I stayed at the American Colony twice. Once on business and once as a tourist. While there were many journalists there were also many tourists. It is convenient if you want to visit the old city and if you don't mind being in the part that is not the Jewish Quarter of the old city. There are many reviews of all hotels on Tripadvisor. The OP should read them. I have also stayed at The King David and The Harmony. While the DE's opinions are valuable so is the opinion of a visitor who has stayed at the hotels she is commenting on. The American Colony also has wonderful restaurants and your comment that The New City is better is alittle bit much to take. Better for whom? The tourists or you? As a tourist I prefer the area The American Colony is in.

Edited: 29 May 2010, 09:34
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerusalem hotels

This is my opinion, not yours. And it is not our decision but the OP's. This is what makes a good forum, exchangings various ideas.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerusalem hotels

I love when the locals decide what tourists and foreigners want or prefer. Bottom line is the American Colony is not in the Jewish Quarter which is why alot of folks in this forum discount it.

Edited: 29 May 2010, 09:56
Illinois
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerusalem hotels

I'll take Shoshi's advice over yours any day!! SHE IS the expert on this forum. Yes the American Colony may have good restaurants...but what about the neighborhood? Are there other of good restaurants around there? Is the shopping good around there?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jerusalem hotels

I'm a tourist and I'm not Jewish, and I would much prefer to stay in the center city area of the New City because of its easier access to places and things to do in the evening. And it's a 10-15 minute walk to the Old City.

I'm not dissing the American Colony -- but I agree that it's location is not ideal, at least for this tourist. Obviously, different people have different views, and that doesn't mean someone is "wrong."

Douglas Duckett