We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tafritim b'anglit

USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
tafritim b'anglit

How common is it for restaurants in Israel to have menus in English? I'm sure the main tourist-oriented restaurants have this, but do the typical Israeli restaurants? Even outside the big cities?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,409 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tafritim b'anglit

If a restaurant does not get a large number of tourists it won't necessarily have a menu in English. I live part of the year in Netanya. Netanya has a large population of French speakers. As the French open up restaurants some of them have menus in only French and Hebrew. I've also been to eat at restaurants in neighborhoods of Jerusalem. There, the menu was only in Hebrew. Same for some places in Beit Shemesh!

However, it is rare to find an establishment where someone doesn't speak English and they will help you navigate. ( English is taught in all Israeli schools and with the internet kids are becoming more and more proficient in it)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,065 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tafritim b'anglit

Even if there is no printed menu or menu board in English you will have no problem finding out what is available and ordering. Though I must say that more and more places have at least part of their menu in

English - though it might be a bit inventive:)

Be-teavon!!! (Bon Apetit)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tafritim b'anglit

From my experience less than 10% of the restaurants do not have a menu in English. You should also be aware that some restaurants do not update their English menus every time they update their Hebrew ones. So don't be surprised if the waitress tells you that the prices on the English menu are not valid.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tafritim b'anglit

Prices might not be updated, but also many times there are "specials" that are not on the menu. The waiter will tell you about them and their prices. It is not difficult to get along, most waiters know English. Most waiters are students and know English, their level of service might less than desired.

5. Re: tafritim b'anglit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 06:20