We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Just got back from our first trip to Israel. It was truly amazing and I have to give a big and sincere "thank you" to everyone on this forum who has been so kind and generous with your advice.

I have some thoughts and advice I'd like to share. You'll forgive me for the thoughts being rather random. We just got back yesterday from a few days in Paris and I'm stil a bit foggy.

US Air started non stop flights from Philly to Tel Aviv. The flight was wonderful. We were in Envoy Class and the new "pods" were just incredibly comfortable. I actually slept for most of the flight.

We flew El Al from Tel Aviv to Paris. Wow, I love El Al. The plane looked spanking new. The food was so fresh and delicious and I felt incredibly safe.

Just a note about the airport in Tel Aviv. It was a breeze when we landed. And when we departed I was asked two questions and quickly went through security. No removing of shoes...no fooling around with liquids. It was the least amount of hassle I've had traveling in years. And the best part...having breakfast of burekas in the food court.

Even though everyone has told me for years that you feel safer in Israel then you do anyplace else, I didn't really believe it. Well, now that I've been there I can say it is true.

The whole time we were there it felt completely safe and "normal". If you looked at the news or read the international papers you'd think otherwise....but we were in the middle of Jerusalem and we walked, even late at night and felt carefree.

I thought when we went to Jerusalem that we had to stay at the King David. That if we didn't the experience would somehow be less. The good folks on this forum strongly suggested the Inbal and I was truly delighted with it. Modern, elegant and perfectly situated near the Old City and tons of restaurants and shops.....we loved it.

The breakfast at the Inbal was amazing. We stayed on the executive floor and had access to the lounge which we used daily. The staff was wonderful.

Yad Vashem-- I admit it, I was afraid that I would be so depressed after a visit that I would be upset for the whole trip. However, this was not true. I walked around with a heavy heart, but also a determination to do my part to not allow there to be world silence or appeasement in the face of evil.

Ever single world leader needs to go to Yad Vashem. Really, ever person needs to go. We must not forget the past. We must not allow evil to grow. We must understand the absolute unique importance of Israel.

The food in Israel is amazing. I ate hummus almost everyday...it was so much better then in the US. The fruits and vegetables had such an intense flavor. We drank a pitcher of fresh lemonade with mint at dinner each night.

Oh, I have to mention that we couldn't believe how reasonably priced everything was. We'd have a huge lunch and it would be maybe $50. In the US, a similar meal would be closer to $100.

Everyone spoke English. Everyone made us feel really welcome.

One of the places that I wanted to go to was the Hurva. It has an incredible history and it meant a lot to me to just stand inside.

The whole country of Israel is a miracle on so many levels. There is no place like it in the world. We felt incredibly lucky to be able to go.

G-d Bless Israel.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
The King David
The King David
1,582 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
The Inbal Jerusalem
The Inbal Jerusalem
1,905 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,390 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Thanks so much for sharing - and thrilled you had such a wonderful experience - Israel really is an amazing and wonderful place.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,071 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

I loved the report as well! I'm glad you had a great time, and welcome home. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Thanks for your report. I can feel your enthusiasm bouncing through! Stick around and answer questions, now that you've visited and know what is going on.

USA
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Great report - thanks - makes us even more excited for our own upcoming trip.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Thanks for posting your report. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

Thanks also for your kind words. I think I speak for many people when I say it means a lot to us, especially these days...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

Thanks, everyone. It is difficult waking up in the morning knowing that there is no Israeli breakfast buffet waiting for me in the kitchen. I think I'm having hummus withdrawl!

7. Re: Amazing Trip--Various Thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 06:17