We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israeli Hummus Secret

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Israeli Hummus Secret

Why is the hummus so much better in Israel? Are they using fresh chick peas? Is it a different ratio of tahini vs chick pea paste? Or a different brand that what we can get in the US. It was so much lighter and flavorful.

Please share the secret...I already have hummus withdrawl.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

I assume that when you eat hummus in a restaurant or cafe, it contains no preservatives, unlike store-bought brands, which do contain them in order to prolong their shelf life.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

You eat with all of your senses, not just with your mouth.

When you eat hummus in Israel, you are at the same time consuming the sounds and smells and views of this country - which all add to the taste of the hummus.

When you bring that very same hummus from Israel home, it would not taste the same.

I remember a romantic night in Cyprus, many years ago. The wind, the sound of the waves, the clear sky with millions of stars, the moonlight, the taste of salt on our skin... And a really extraordinary bottle of wine. We had the impression that we had never had a wine nearly as good as that one... Therefore, I bought six bottles of that wine and shlepped them home. Only to discover that at home, after the usual routine of a working day, the taste of that wine was nothing special at all...

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

But even when I make it at home it doesn't taste like what we had in Israel. Do people use canned, dried or fresh chick peas? I'm not even going to attempt falafel....but I can say that it was so much lighter in Israel then what we get here.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,428 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

it depends on the recipe - you just have to "play" with it till you get the right mix and consistency - there is no difference between using canned chickpeas or cooking your own - one hint - if you use canned rinse them off and don't use the liquid from the can.

Also - make sure to use olive oil instead of any other.

There are loads of cooking, food, and recipe sites online that can give you a lot more hints for making the best hummus - falafel also, it's really not that hard.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

I agree with Oreets...I make my hummus with canned chickpeas (I leave the skins on, but when my wife makes the hummus she removes the skins). I'm always tinkering with the balance between the chickpeas and the tahini, how much cooking liquid to thin out the paste, how much fresh squeezed lemon juice works best, and of course which spices to use (cumin, fresh ground pepper--generally no need for adding salt if using canned chickpeas).

Now...has it been as good as I've eaten in Israel? Occasionally. Even Israel has good & bad hummus!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

I don't put any olive oil in my hummus. Also don't think it's worth boiling chick peas. If you use the canned ones you have hummus ready in 5 minutes. For what it's worth, my recipe is:

1 can of chickpeas

4 spoons of tehina

Juice of about 1 lemon (depends how lemony you like it)

about 1 clove garlic

Cumin

Dash of soy sauce (yes, just try it...)

Cooking water from chick peas - enough to make the paste the right consistency.

Simply blend everything together.

One important "secret" is to use good tehina (tahini). The bitter Greek style one doesn't work at all. The tehina should taste almost sweet if you taste it straight out of the jar.

Avigail

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

I do think a part of it is fresh pide bread. In the USA, you lucky if your bread is only 4-5 days old by the time you get it. I Israel, it is usually that many hours old.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

You are shopping /livingin the wrong part of the US for fresh Pita bread. In my NY Orthodox neighborhood I can get it hot from the oven of the local bakery! -:)

sarasota,FL
Level Contributor
175 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

I found Joan Nathan's book of Israeli recipes has a wonderful hummus recipe and the falafal one is great too. Each time we need a "fix" out comes the book. Part of the secret is soaking dry chickpeas. No shortcuts, just enjoy!

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Israeli Hummus Secret

Last week, someone introduced me to the Sabra brand hummus they bought at Costco, and it was the best supermarket hummus I've had--the closest to real home made. I still prefer to make my own and gorge on hummus when I'm in Israel, but this store-bought hummus was quite good.