We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time tour for older couple?

Sun City, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
First time tour for older couple?

Jewish/Christian pair, he 67, she 71, agile, but not interested in driving or mass transportation, wish to make a first time trip to Israel in January-February for about 12-14 days. Interests include ancient history, modern history (founding of Israel, Shoah), and military history. Looking to find an unrushed small group tour for around USD 500/pp/day. Any suggestions?

Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time tour for older couple?

I doubt you will find anything close to your description, especially since that is so not tourist season.

You can probably put together your own "tour" using a combination of guide/driver and independent sightseeing. This will allow you to tailor your itinerary to your specific interests and travel style.

Given your specific interests, you will find any number of museums (good choice for a potential rainy day) are well-explained and can be done on your own in all the major cities.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time tour for older couple?

In this price range you can get a private guide who'll plan an itinerary according to your interests, and will do everything in your own pace.

A private guided tour is by far the best way to explore the country, as all licensed guides are very knowledgable and for sure enrich te experience.

Let us know if you need guide recommendations..

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time tour for older couple?

There seems to be a misunderstanding or lack of clarity here. The OP is looking for a group tour for about $500 pp/day.

If he means that would be the overall cost of the trip, including lodging, meals, transportation, and tours - so for example a 5 day tour would be $2500 all inclusive, then Pitzikat is completely right - it's highly unlikely they will find that.

On the other hand if he is referring only to the cost of the touring portion - guide, driver, vehicle, admission fees, etc. then for $1000 a day for two people, they will definitely have their choice of private guides, drivers, etc.

Redfoot - please clarify what you meant.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time tour for older couple?

As one who has done trips using a guide/driver for about 2/3 of days and 1/3 days independent I can tell you that you cannot do this for $500 a day total. Perhaps you can post back and let us know more about your budget. You will then get a lot of very valuable info and advice here.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Sun City, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time tour for older couple?

Thanks for your input so far. We were hoping to do hotel + tours (exclusive of airfare) for about $1000 day, but if that is not realistic, we can afford more. In the meantime, I have found these tours. Any recommendations about these or any other recommendations about our trip?:

http://margaretmorsetours.com/israel.htm

http://www.smartours.com/israel.shtml

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time tour for older couple?

group tours like the 2 you mentions are fine but they are with a group of 25-35 people and might be even 40 and they are rushed. What you can do is have a combination - days with a private guide, days on your own and a few days either with aguide/driver or group tour. A group tour for 2-3 nights in the north with egged tours or Ben-Harim or a similar company or a guide/driver, and day like this for the Dead-Sea Massada. These tours can be booked from your hotel desk. The comany picks at the hotel and brings you back there. For the day after these tours plan something easy as they are demanding.

For the rest of the days you can join small group tours (2-8 people) with Zion Walking Tours in Jerusalem, the free municipality tours offered by the Jerusalem and Tel Aviv tourist offics, the various museums that have their own tours or audioguides and you could be within your budget and have a faboulus trip.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time tour for older couple?

You should have no difficulty doing hotels + tours for $1000 a day - with a private guide/driver or guide + driver. Especially as you have some flexibility. You should find that the average for your whole trip should stay within that budget, if not a bit less,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time tour for older couple?

First off, I would recommend that you come the second half of February rather than January. This way you will have the joy of the amazing Spring flowers that cover the whole country after the winter rains.

I invite you to check out my blog if you would like to hear about these flowers. http://wildisraeliflowers.blogspot.com/

Second, you will be able to see the amazing spectacle of the migrating birds.

There was a long thread on this topic a few months ago - look up Douglas Ducket – he wrote some great stuff on the Hula.

Third, the days will have lengthened a little.

Your budget seems perfectly adequate to me. There are many good places to stay within your budget. Maybe a smaller hotel – you don’t need a swimming pool or a giant fancy lobby! And the rates are much lower in February than later in the season.

I have had good feed-back on the Melody in Tel Aviv and the Harmony in Jerusalem. I am sure that other posters will be able to suggest many more places.

You will probably want to spend at least a few days in Tel Aviv - Jaffa and in Jerusalem where there are many things to see with a guide - and without - where the extra expense of transport is not necessary.

This will release funds for other days when you might treat yourselves to a guide and a driver … the driver means that when you finish a tour far from the car, you don’t have to retrace your steps. And leaves your guide free to show you everything along the journey, not only when you arrive.

You won't find a lack of military sites to visit!

Armageddon - site of the first recorded battle in history where many believe the last one will be fought!

Beer Sheva – where the definitve battle that changed modern history took place – check out this link to see Australians re-enacting the famous battle www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php… - to name but two!

Finally, let me assure you that whatever you decide to do, you will have a wonderful experience. Israel is a very special place.

Pamela

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time tour for older couple?

I think most people missed the $500 per person line. ( myself included) As Oreets said at $1,000 a day you should be able to pretty much stay within budget. You may want to consider doing certain areas on your own. ( using inter-city buses or taxi) When you go overnight with a guide you are responsible for their meal and lodging. ( although most get breaks from the hotel so it isn't as expensive as your room)

10. Re: First time tour for older couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 11:14