We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amigo cellphone shipping

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
142 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Amigo cellphone shipping

Thanks for all the great advice about cellphones in Israel. It looks like Amigo makes the most sense for me.

I am trying to order it on the internet, and everything is clear except that it gives me the option between $10 for standard shipping or $20 for express shipping. But I can't find anything on the website that says which I need to use for my departure date.

I would need to have it delivered to my office by Thursday, October 14, though I won't arrive in Israel until Tuesday, October 19. Does anyone know for sure which shipping service I should choose, or do you think I should try calling Monday or spring for the express shipping?

Thanks very much!

Len

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

You will need regular shipping service. But to be on the safe side give them a call to confirm this. You are leaving in a couple of weeks so you should be okay. Check that the phone works (goes on) as soon as you receive it, to be sure that all is okay.

Have a great trip!

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

I would check with them. Probably standard, but inasmuch as I have never rented--it is hard to say. ( phones seem to come from NYC) I just looked at their website. They have a live chat feature that seems to be operative as I write. I also would try calling on Sunday--not assuming they are a 5 day a week business. BTW did you notice you could pick the phone up in Baltimore. ( I know you say you are in DC--but is that your work or your work and home location -)

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

I have rented through Amigo and the service is excellent. By all means, call them to confirm which shipping option is best. If you are in any doubt for your departure date, it is worth the extra money to ensure it gets to you in time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
142 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

Thanks very much. I can't believe I didn't see the large LIve Chat button when I was looking at the website earlier. Unfortunately no one seems to be on the line now, but I will try again Sunday morning US time.

Len

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

Len--when we are frustrated and unsure of things we miss stuff, when we have no emotional involvement--we don't. I am sure that if our positions were reversed we would also have reversed experiences with the site!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

Many of the companies are Israeli based and do not work on Saturday or Jewish holidays. Sunday is a regular working day and you should have no problem getting in touch with the cell phone companies.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

Amigo is American based, in Brooklyn NY. HOWEVER--it is an Orthodox owned company and many of these companies DO work on Sunday. In fact, the US has many many places working 7 days. ( this is info more for Chana than the OP)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
142 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

The Orthodox part also explains why they are not open this weekend. It turns out there is a message on their voicemail that they are closed until Monday morning this week (for the holiday, I'm sure), and will not be doing any shipping until Monday at 9 EDT. So I will call or chat with them then.

Thanks for all your help!

Len

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

The holiday is over. They may never be open on Sunday.--or they may have taken an extra travel day! --I'm Orthodox, if I am online you can be sure its' not holiday. ( it only gets tricky cause sometimes I post from NY and othertimes from Israel--but right now--NY)

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amigo cellphone shipping

I rented a phone from them and indicated I was leaving October 8 so I expected the phone yesterday or today as I only paid for Standard delivery $10. Instead it came last Friday! So I've been playing with the phone book since then. They've answered all my stupid questions by email or at their 888 number.