We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

blue bell, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

We just returned from 2 amazing, moving and wonderful weeks in Israel, thanks to all the help from this forum. We started with 2 nights in Tel Aviv, great accommodations and incredible value at Eden House. Saw Jaffo, Independence Hall, Dizengorf square, the Diaspora and Plamach museums, Shenken Street and the Carmel market. Great meals at Noa's in old Jaffo and Manta Ray.

We then rented a car and headed up the coast to Ceasarea and Akko. Three nights in the Galilee at the Frankel's B&B, which is truly beautiful and very special. Did a jeep tour of the Golan, a walking tour of Safed and hiked around Banios, Nimrod's Fortress, the Hula Valley and ancient Korazim. Then drove to Jerusalem and returned the car.

In Jerusalem for 4 nights, we rented a great (and very reasonable) apartment called the Avissar house in the Yemin Moshe neighborhood, with a roof top terrace with views of the old city. Moving visits to the old city, the wall (and tunnel tour), the Jewish quarter, the temple mount, the city of David (including Hezekiah's tunnel), the Israel museum, Yad Vashem, the Herzl museum, the national cemetery and the mount of olives. Best meals where at Adom's and Chakra.

Next, another rental car and off to Masada and the Dead Sea. Then a stay at the Dessert House in Mitzpe Ramon (incredible!), a hike at Ein Avdat and stops at Ben Gurion house and grave. Then onto some hikes in the Maktesh Ramon and an overnight at Kibbutz Lotan. This includes a terrific tour and a great massage. Next day a hike/tour at Park Timna, a swim at the Dolphin reef and a sunset camel ride. Last day included the Coral World observatory and the drive to Tel Aviv.

Truly the trip of a life time! Independent travel in Israel is wonderful, especially with the help of the forum!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
363 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

I love your itinerary, and am considering a similar one for my family. Were there any parts to this trip that you wished you did with a guide? Anything you would have done differently? It sounds wonderful - thanks for sharing it with us.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Thanks for your trip report. It sounds like you had a great time, and it's always nice to hear back from people who were helped by the wonderful people on the forum.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Great report. I'm glad that you enjoyed Israel :)

blue bell, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

We did use guides sometimes. We used Akiva for the jeep tour in the Golan, Aviva Minoff for the walking tour of Safed and hired a guide for 3 days in Jerusalem. We also had a guide in Park Timna near Eilat. The guides added enormously to our trip and I would recommend using some guides.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

Thanks for the report! I loved reading it, and am very glad to hear that you found the forum helpful.

Utahrealtor, you can in fact drive all over Israel, though most find having a rental car in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem more hassle than its worth, because of both traffic and parking. You cannot, however, take an Israeli rental car out of the country (including Sinai or Petra) or into areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority (the cities such as Ramallah, Bethlehem, Jericho, Hebron (PA-controlled portions), Tul Karm, Qalkiliya, Nablus, and Jenin).

Douglas Duckett

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
705 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report

THANK YOU for a wonderful report! We leave Denver 4 weeks from today....and we can't wait!!!!!!!

As far as car rentals go.......I'll just add to Doug's response: we are going to be renting an AVIS car for 2 weeks: A Mazda 3 or similar....and with BOTH Limited Liability AND CDW the price is $460. That's less than online....I called the Avis israel office in Closter,NJ:: 9-5 PM EST....1-800-638-4016

blue bell, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report

We did not want to drive in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem so we returned the car when we got to the cities. We used Eldon and they were great. The cost was $154 for 4 days then $184 for 5 days with airport dropoff. No extra charge for returning it in a different city or for insurance.Hope that helps.

Get Doug Duckett's guidebook (on this forum). It is really helpful

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report

Thanks for your post - glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip and that we were able to help you in your planning.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
297 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report

Another thanks because we are planning a similar trip.

As for the guides--were there just two or more people in the group and what were the prices?

I see the need for a guide for Masada. For Jerusalem--what did you use guide for?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report

Just to say thanks for that report, we had a very wonderful time in israel