We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend Judaica Stores Please

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend Judaica Stores Please

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, Judaica store (Shabbat candles, Chanukiot, mezuzot etc) in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Netanya? Does the duty free store at BGA rate consideration for Judaica?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

Shabbat Candles and Chanukiot are available in many stores--not just in Judaica shops. They are in the department store and simple ones are in the supermarket. That said, my favorite store for israeli products is Gans on Rivlin ( i've recommended them before) My favorite Judaica store in Netanya is on Tel Hai right off of Herzl. Tel Hai is a little street. It is East of Dizengoff and West of Stampfer. When you walk in ( it is only on one side of Herzl--the store is on your left--right when the street gets wider. ( the whole thing is a pedestrian only area.

When you say Mezzuzah are you talking about a case or the scroll that goes inside. If you want a Kosher scroll you need to make sure you buy in a reputable place. The aforementioned store in Netanya is reputable. ( that is where I buy my Mezzuzot for my apartment in Netanya) I do not know Tel Aviv stores.

The airport doesn't have a duty free store. It is more like a large duty free shopping mall. You can spend hours and hours shopping there. I have never looked for these items but I would be shocked if they weren't available. ( all except the mezzuzah scroll, which may not be)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

In Jerusalem, there are many shops with very large selections in the pedestrian mall on Ben Yehuda and its sidestreets. They are open till 10 pm at least - often until 11 or even midnight.

Duty free at the airport has almost nothing.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

Thank you rdglady. Gans on Rivlin, is that in Tel Aviv?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

Sorry--Rivlin is in Jerusalem, --if you do go to Rivlin stop for a really great Veggie meal at Village Green--on Yafo--and Rivlin!

toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

A friend told us about this store a while back and we go there whenever we have the privilege of visiting Israel. Prices are very reasonable and ask if you do not see exactly what you want as he has stock at the back. The last time we were there the prices were 1/4 of what they were at the airport. Do not know the name of the store but will describe where it is - only 2 minutes from Ben Yehuda.

The store is located on King George past Ben Yehuda (towards the Great Synagogue) between Be'eri and HaMa'alot near the Mayanot Gallery @ 28 King George. On the west side which is the even numbers. There are 2 or 3 stores. The one we go to is run by an older man with a long beard. Looking at the store the entrance is on the left and sales counter is at the back of the store on the right hand side.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

There are several stores in the Cardo in the Old City of Jerusalem that offer Judaica, all made by local artisians and not just the regular factory made things that you generally can find in most stores. Keep in mind that Israel is the land of the Jewish people, so Judaica is readily available anywhere you go in the country.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

For something different (and some of the same) in the Judaica realm, try Shorashim just near the Keshet Cafe in the main plaza of the Jewish Quarter in the Old City.

Gallary Bar-On in the Cardo (also in the Jewish Quarter) has a beautiful and extensive selection of mezuza covers - they also carry the scrolls (kosher). I like their selection of dreidels - some traditional, some very modern and everything in between!

You can also purchase kosher mezuzot (the scrolls), mezuza covers, chanukiot, candles, etc. etc. etc. at Moriah Bookshop just above the large stair case that goes from the Jewish Quarter down to the Kotel plaza.

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Meir Toronto

9. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 11:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend Judaica Stores Please

This smacks of advertising which is not allowed on the forum. The poster just joined today and resurrected a month's old thread to post a plug for a store.