We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Usage

11 posts
Save Topic
Water Usage

It is understood that Israel has not had the rains that it has needed over the past few years. What advice or tips do you have for visitors to Israel so that we do not do not make matter worse. How has the lack of water impacted the various tourist sites? In the meantime, I hope and pray for an abundant rainy season.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Usage

Thank you for your concern.

I am sure different people will have different responses. I spend about 40% of the year in Israel--in my own apartment. These are the things that I do--that could be transferred to a tourist in a hotel.

a. I keep my showers short. Although I love to luxuriate in the shower with warm water pounding on my back--in Israel my shower is to get clean. Period!

b. I turn off the water while brushing my teeth.

The following is not something I need to stop--but something that drives me crazy.

If you are at the beach and need to cool off--go to the sea!! Don't stand and have conversations under the fresh water showers. If you want to wash off the salt before leaving the sea--that should take no more than 30 seconds. I get livid when I see adults and kids playing in the water of the showers. There is just no need! ( and I have spoken to lifeguards and had people told to stop!)

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Usage

I don't think it affects tourists sites....

A individual there are some things you can do. Pay attention to close the tap when you are brushing your teeth... take few minutes less in the shower ... use half tank button in the toilet.... etc..

In my opinion the government will eventually build more desalination plants like the one in Eilat.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Usage

Eldad--thanks , the 1/2 tank button is something which is generally NOT in the US and many Americans have no idea what it is. ( although it is a 'new invention" that will soon be mandatory for new toilets in either NYCity or NY State ( I forget which)

Anyway, the 1/2 tank button is just what it sounds like. Sometimes the toilet is a double lever and other times it is a button inside a button. The full tank button releases more water when you flush than the 1/2 tank button. You choose which to use according to the need at the moment. -:)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Usage

Another useful tip that can save water is to turn the water on and off intermittently in your shower as needed. Get wet - turn off the water - wash yourself - turn on the water to rinse only, etc.

Sadly, the lack of water does have an impact on some tourist sites. When you visit the Kinneret and the Dead Sea you will see that the water line has receded greatly. In some place, such as the Ein Gedi spa and beach at the Dead Sea, there is now a tram to take you from the spa building to the shoreline.

And again, thank you for being so concerned - the lack of rains is very critical in Israel.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Usage

If you are staying at a hotel, rehang the towels that are still clean so the cleaning staff know not to launder them. You don't need a fresh towel if you just used it to dry off your just-showered body, and laundering towels w/every use wastes water.

Also, save your luxurious baths for home! Take showers here. And, as others have suggested, shutting the water off while you soap up in the shower can save a lot of water.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Usage

>>Eldad--thanks<<

My name is Elad :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Usage

Elad--Sorry, It wasn't intentional. ( I am NOT fluent in Hebrew and if the word Eldad means anything I don't know)

8. Re: Water Usage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 07:28