We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesach 2011 in Israel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pesach 2011 in Israel

My husband and I will be in Israel from 17 to 27 April 2010. We met on WUJS Arad program in 1988 and toured extensively that year. We're English/French speakers and from Australia. On this trip during Chol Hamoed, we'd like to re-discover Israel again, especially Massada, Hebron, Mitzpe Ramon, Jerusalem, Akko, Tzefat, etc. Ideally we'd like day trips with someone who's passionate about the place and eager to share their knowldge. We're thinking of spending the first 5 days in the North in a B&B on a kibbutz or moshav and the last 5 days in Tel Aviv or anywhere else (B&B or similar) within easy reach of Jerusalem and the South. A side trip to Arad would be nice. We're fit, love to walk and keen on 'genuine' experiences -so bus tours with the masses are not for us.

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Abraham Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Atlantis Travel - Day Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Israeli Guide Ltd
Private Tours, Bus Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

Hello :)

What are your questions? Are you looking for a private tour guide?

anyway, note that "Hol Hamoed" is school vacation time... many families are traveling though the country this time and hotels are being expected to be in full capacity - which means that the prices will be high.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

Sorry I was not clear in my post - we're looking for ideas for this trip - either tips for interesting itineraries for independent touring (us just doing our thing) to the areas mentioned or guided tours with someone cool and interesting; and yes, we're well aware that everyone in Israel is on holiday at that time too... but hey, that's the window of opportunity for us!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

As you know there are so many possibilities for touring. I recommend trying to visit off the beaten track places more than the mainstream tourist sites due to the crowds.

Make reservations as soon as possible (by end of January) to ensure the place you would like to stay has room. Assuming you stay in the Hula Valley or thereabouts (perhaps a zimmer in Rosh Pina) I suggest the following:

Day One

Zfat

Rosh Pina

Agamon hahula (to see migratory birds)

Day 2

Mt. Bental

Jeep tour of Golan Heights

Katzrin (Talmudic museum)

Salukia spring

Day 3

Ein Tina (waterfall)

Umm al-Kunatir (ancient synagogue)

Susita

Tiberia

In the south I would recommend staying in Mitzpeh Ramon:

Day 1

Hike in Nahal Saharonim

Visit the fossil hill and carpentry shop

Alpaca farm

Day 2

Sde Boker -- Ben Gurions house

Hike in Nahal Yarkeam

Mamshit (usually has a 'Biblical' market during hol hamoed)

You could feasibly stop in Arad on the way back north or even stay in Arad and visit Masada on the following day, by walking up the Roman ramp.

Let us know what other interests you have and we will help you out.

There are of course wineries, kibbutz tours, possibly fruit picking (depends on the weather this winter) and more.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

In 2011, we will again have everything at the same time: Pesach, Easter according to the Western Christian tradition, and Easter according to the Orthodox Christian tradition. The country will be packed, especially Jerusalem. Thus, as it has already been said: Make your reservations as early as possible. Some of the most popular hotels are already fully booked by now. So hurry up!

The question is whether you are interested in seeing the celebrations of the different Christian Churches as well. Nazareth is a hot spot for Palm Sunday (April 17th). However, Jerusalem is the most interesting place for the whole Holy Week: Palm Sunday (April 17th), Maundy Thursday (April 21st.), Good Friday (April 22nd), Saturday of the Hoy Week (April 22nd: the Orthodox Ceremony of the Holy Fire in the Old City), and Easter Sunday (April 23rd). You see, this totally overlaps with the Pesach week.

Edited: 27 November 2010, 20:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

Since we're Jewish and going to Israel FOR Pesach, we're not interested in the Christian side of things - but thanks anyway. We're also very well aware that it will be busy, everyone's on holiday, the masses are out, the hotels are booked, the place is packed, etc - which is why we're posting our query on Trip Advisor now, in November! So thank you to 'VisitIsrael', great suggestion for itinerary - will get back to you on that - and Matzchik, some suggestions of affordable B&Bs/zimmers around Afula or thereabouts that still have vacancies would be more useful.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

Sorry, I did not want to offend you... I just thought that belonging to one group of people does not exclude having a look at what the others are doing.

Anyway, unfortunately, around Afula I don't know any hotel or b&b.

Places where we have stayed in the north include: Akkotel in Akko (Jewish owned), Kikar Ha-Ma'ayan b&b in Peki'in (Druze owned), Ein Gev Kibbutz Guesthouse (Jewish owned), Pilgrim's House Tabgha (Christian owned), Nof Ginosar Kibbutz country lodging (Jewish owned)... I can recommend all of these without any hesitation. If you need more information about one of these places, just ask. I will be happy to give any information I have.

Edited: 27 November 2010, 21:05
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

Regarding places to stay near Afula, if you are interested in B&B there are several options such as at Sde Nahum, Beit HaShita, Gidona, to name a few. Please see the following site for other B&B options:

http://www.zimmeril.com/

If you are not sure where a place is located please PM me and I'll do my best to assist you.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,329 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

The Israel of 2010 -2011 looks and acts very different than the Israel of 1988. Many of the places you saw you will no longer recognize--hey you will no longer recognize most things ( including the airport)

If you are interested in visiting the Jewish community in Hebron you can go to Hebron.com and book a tour with the Jewish community. ( the April page is not up yet)

9. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 11:05
10. Re: Pesach 2011 in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 11:05