We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

West Orange, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

Family of four (son 16 and daughter 12) looking for suggestions in terms of identifying a really special kibbutz in the north for 2 days late December when I suppose it may start getting chilly. We already have reservations for the first night in a B&B near Tiberias, then we have the two days in between for kibbutz experience, and have a reservation for one night in Acre to finish off the northern portion of our vacation. We will have seen Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Dead Sea etc before heading north. This will be the only opportunity to give my kids (our ourselves!) a fun kibbutz experience while in Israel so searching for that special place but may also use it as a base to visit a couple other sites in the north with our rental car & guide including the Golan. Can you suggest some good places for a Kibbutz Thursday and Friday stay where both the kids may have fun as well as us adults? Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

A kibbutz experience for your family could be for a couple of hours at the most. There are, however, many kibbutzim (plural of kibbutz in Hebrew) that have guest houses/hotels which offer walking tours of the various branches such as cow shed, working fields, factories, etc. A fun 'working' experience cannot be accomplished during your your short stay but it is fun to visit the diversivness of the kibbutz.

See the following web site for a list of guest houses:

http://net-travel.org/kibbutz/sites_list.htm

Chana

Israel

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

A kibbutz in the north with a guest house is Sasa. The guest house is basic, but clean and nice with great views. The breakfast is served in the kibbutz dining room.

West Orange, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

thanks Soshi and Chana for your responses and suggestions--very helpful. I'll research these places and maybe we can get a tour of one to get a sense of kibbutz life and its challenges.

Looks like we'll be based in the Rosh Pina area those two middle days afterall so we can visit a kibbutz either from there or from Tiberias...I am also hoping to convince the rest of the family to get a little horseback riding in to enjoy the scenary if the weather holds out late Dec when we are in the North. Any suggestions for that also most welcome.

Cheers

NewJerzyBoy

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

There are many options for horseback riding in the north. You can try Ramot Ranch at: ramotranch.com/Home/tabid/301/Default.aspx

or Pauli Ranch at +972-50-535-6220 (I don't have an email for this one).

Both are in easy to find locations in the Upper Galilee and the Golan Heights.

Chana

Israel

West Orange, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

Chana: Appreiate the horseback riding info, Very helpful.

One last question & I promise not to bother you again. We have decided to drive in our rental car from Jerusalem to Masada and the Dead Dea (day trip). Any suggestions for a good family hotel if we decide to not rush it and stay overnight at the Dead Sea as I still have a few more weeks to make a reservation and change my itinerary around abit? If there is a special hotel where we could have a fun spa (mud) experience etc., also fun for kids aged 12 and 16 year olds and not break the bank, let me know so we can consider. I guess it makes sense to visit first Masada in the morning when it is slightly cooler there and stop by the Dead Sea in the afternoon. I guess I need to check on when it gets dark that time of year at the Dead Sea. I'd love to visit Masada just before sunrise but already know full well the reaction I'd get from the rest of my family if I suggested too early a departure, so that will not work. Do you think in end-December the Dead Sea will still be warm enough to enter? Any and all info welcome.

Regards NewJerzyBoy

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

As of right now the weather is hot at the Dead Sea. I was there yesterday and it was in the mid-80's. The chances of the temperature dropping so drastically in the next month that will not allow you to enjoy the Dead Sea are not high. The water is a static temperature of about 25 degrees centigrade, so you would be warm in the water, but the air temperature might be cooler.

I would try to book rooms at the Ein Gedi Field School or Guest House, both are nice, clean and close to the beach and mud (but not right on the beach as the water has receded so much in recent years). The cost is affordable. You could also try the Masada Field School, which is at the foot of Masada but no where near a beach. When going to the Dead Sea, be sure to only visit official beaches for safety reasons. There are alot of sink holes in the area, and only those official beaches are considered safe.

The rest of the hotels are very expensive, especially as the Christmas season is approaching and alot of Christian pilgrams flock the country and especially medicinal tourism from Europe.

Chana

Israel

West Orange, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

thanks chana. I am going on a biz trip next 5 days but when I come back I will try and come up with more ideas that will make my 12 year old daughter and 17 year old son "happy" during our 23 Dec 3 Jan visit to Israel. We have the standards tours scheduled for the old city of jerusalem with a guide, but on our own we will visit old jaffa from tel aviv, masada-red sea from jerusalem, and will also have a guide for the 4 days we spend in lower/upper galilee & golan)... so am looking for things teenagers might like to splice in with some of the other things we will all see--that's why I asked about horseback riding in the north. If you have any ideas, send them along. They like music, shopping, son a very good artist, both decent athletes...I realize things are relatively close in israel but our accommodations include nights in tel aviv, jerusalem, arbel village near tiberias, rosh pina, and acre so we'll be basing our visits in our rental car from those places. many thanks

west orange,nj
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

there are many great Kibbutzim in the north, try Kibbutz Lavi, Nof Ginosar, Ramot, Ein Gadi and much more.

Maplewood, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

Hi there. I'm doing almost the same trip as you are but next August - -two weeks, similar itinerary, and trying to figure out what to do and how to see the north; would be interested in hearing how you work this out!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for Wonderful Kibbutz Experience in the North

When in Jerusalem you can go to Gush Eztion for zip-lining which is a very popular thing to do there. They also have rock climbing and some other 'fun' stuff to do. The place is called Deer Park. In the north there are the Arbel cliffs which is an invigorating hike -- down. Along the way you can visit the buildings carved out of the stone face, really fasinating. But note that both activities are weather permitting. You could take the kids to a shooting range or to play paint-ball (boys especially like this 'sport). Metulla has an ice skating rink and olympic swimming pool, which sometimes gives just the lift the kids need to continue with their parents touring plans.

For punem there are many more options due to the longer day and better weather (yes hot, but not rainy).

Chana

Israel