We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to israel and gaza blokade

germany
4 posts
Save Topic
travel to israel and gaza blokade

hello im a girl from germany (originally palestinian but born in lebanon) .. i have german passport and want to travel to israel /tel aviv then go to gaza blokade... how can i go? and how much is that cost for taxi to go there??

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

Let me try to answer this and maybe pre-empt any potential explosions (to use a possibly unfortunate metaphor...)

The blockade of Gaza is not a physical site you can visit like the Acropolis or the Western Wall. The blockade is imposed by Israel using its control of the land crossings and its air and sea forces.

You could travel down to the border between Israel and Gaza Strip and look at border crossings. See trucks passing each way. But you're not going to learn anything meaningful about the situation there from that. Going right up to the crossings themselves will seem strange at best and suspicious at worst.

There are plenty of things to see here and plenty of ways to learn about the political realities in this region. A "visit to the Gaza blockade" isn't one of them.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 21:07
Mentioned in this post
Western Wall
Western Wall
8,667 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

Hello to you

You can not cross to the Gaza Strip from Israel (you might want to check if it's possible to cross from Egypt).

The situation is very complex in this area...

However it is very possible to visit the west bank.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 21:11
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

I will attempt to add a bit more information and yet stay totally informative and not political.

You cannot go up to the crossings as PRSV indicated. The closest you can get to the actual crossings would be a few hundred meters back, if that much - and that differs at each point. For some of the crossings you will not be able to get any closer than a kilometer or more.

There is nothing to see there except for traffic of trucks, etc. in either direction.

Not sure why you want to go to what you call the "Gaza Blockade" - perhaps if you could explain more what you are looking for we can give you better answers.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,408 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

Take Elad100 suggestion and go via Egypt. It is cheaper too.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
germany
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

thanks to you all.. but i got info from my country that i can enter gaza with my german passport.... and through israel ..

germany
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

israeli ambasade in germany told me that ''we do not recommend anyone to go to Gaza but if you are going there anyway so you have to pay money for tax....

is that right???

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

as we said the situation is very complex... what was true yesterday is not necessarily true today..

I suggest that you will contact the German embassy in Israel and ask them how can you cross to the Gaza strip.

Israel does not operate any official border control with the Gaza strip so there are no passport control for tourist there... Usually only journalist / humanitarian cases are allowed to pass.... there used to be also a way of passage for Palestinian workers but it is no more.

to sum things up... better get an official respond from Israeli authorities (with email/letter and not by talk/phone) and the German embassy in Israel.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

There is no reason to go to see 'Gaza Blockade' which as mentioned is totally from the direction of the Meditterranean Sea. In addition a visit to the Gaza strip, via Egypt, may be construed as suspicious and may deny you entry into Israel from any entry point (airport/sea port/land bridge). If you are interested in visiting Israel -- Welcome -- When you leave here, continue on your tour as you like.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 01 December 2010, 07:24
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

As an alternate, you could go to Sderot and see where thousands of rockets fell.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,408 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to israel and gaza blokade

mbgg - that will be an eye opening experience, the same as a visit via Egypt.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa