We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Martinez, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Hi all,

Originally I was planning on taking a package tour, but the more I look into it, the less satisfied I am. I'm thinking of going it my own. It will be me and my friend (males in our 30s) and my mother (in her 60s). We are primarily interested in seeing the historic sites of Jerusalem, some of the historical/natural sites of Jordan, and poking a bit around the Galilee. Here's our plan:

Day 1: depart US for Amman

Day 2: arrive Amman, overnight in Madaba

Day 3: visit Madaba, Mt. Nebo; overnight Madaba

Day 4: King's Highway to Petra; overnight Petra

Day 5: Petra

Day 6: To Aqaba/Eliat; overnight Eliat

Day 7: pick up rental car, drive through Negev to overnight near Masada

Day 8: visit Masada and Dead Sea, drive to Nazareth; overnight Nazareth

Day 9: day trip to Haifa/Akko; overnight Nazareth

Day 10: day trip to Sea of Galilee; overnight Nazareth

Day 11: drive to Jerusalem drop of rental car; afternoon and overnight Jerusalem

Day 12: Old City Jerusalem

Day 13: New City Jerusalem

Day 14: Jerusalem/possible day trip Bethlehem

Day 15: bus to Tel Aviv, PM Tel Aviv

Day 16: Tel Aviv

Day 17: to USA

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm curious to hear what others think of using Nazareth as a base to see some of the Galilee. Also, I'll have to look into this further, but can anyone talk about driving from Masada to Nazareth? Looks like the direct route goes through the West Bank which I know isn't allowed with most Israeli rental cars. Is it necessary to go around? Same for the drive from Nazareth to Jerusalem.

Thanks.

Nazareth a good base?

Drive Eliat - DS - Nazareth through West Bank?

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,927 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,389 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

First of all, do you have dates or are you flexible? The weekends usually have to be taken into account - and holidays too.

If you don't have firm dates, what time of year are we talking about?

Days 5/6 - Any reason to spend the 2nd night in Petra? If not, head to Eilat that evening (it's 2-3 hours). Unless there is something in particular you want to do in Eilat, you can leave in the morning for the Dead Sea. This gives you an additional day in Jerusalem or the north.

Day 7 - you don't need a whole day to drive to the Dead Sea, unless you are planning stops along the way. You could visit Masada and have a nice float in the Dead Sea that day. Don't plan on driving far after dark from the Dead Sea - either drive to Jerusalem for the night, or stay the night and go north the next morning.

In or near Tiberias (on the shore of the Sea of Galilee) is a better "hub" for seeing the north than Nazareth is. There is also a lot more to see. Then head for the coast. If you stay in Akko or Haifa, you can drop the car and see Tel Aviv as a day trip by train. Or you can keep the car, and visit more of the coastal sites, then overnight in Tel Aviv. If you avoid rush hour traffic, it's about an hour and a half from Haifa to Tel Aviv, add another 1/2 hour if ffrom Akko. And Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is an hour.

From the north, you are better off going to Tel Aviv and then Jerusalem. It takes about 20 minutes longer to get from Jerusalem to the airport than from Tel Aviv by taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,927 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Pitzikat has given you great advice and I wholly agree about preferring a northern hub near the Sea of Galilee.

Regarding the route and the rental car. The route you will be taking from Eilat to the Dead Sea, the Dead Sea north and then back to Jerusalem does indeed run through areas called "West Bank" however these are areas that are under Israeli authority and so are safe and allowed for travel with an Israeli rental car. The limitation applies to areas that under the control of the Palestinian Authority such as Jericho. There is no need for you take any longer, roundabout routes.

As Pitzikat noted, please let us know what time of year you are considering and if you have set dates already. It is important to take the day of the week into consideration when planning your specific itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,927 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Eilat
Eilat
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

You will have a very long drive on day 8... like the others I have to ask why did you choose Nazareth as hub..? especially if in day 9 you are driving to Akko and Haifa.

Mentioned in this post
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Martinez, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Thanks everyone for your comments and questions. A little more detail --

Our dates our somewhat flexible, but we're thinking of going in May. The itinerary above assumes Day 1 is a Thursday, and we tried to take into account the weekends.

We have 2 days in Petra because the first day we won't get there until later in the day, and I believe more than 1 day is really needed to do the site justice. Nazareth may indeed not be the best base for us, so we'll reconsider. Thanks for the info about being able to drive on certain roads in the West Bank.

As we've looked into this further, we realized that spending a night at Wadi Rum in Jordan is probably something we'd really enjoy, so we want to consider that. Adding an extra day to Jordan makes spending time in the north of Israel a challenge. If we do Wadi Rum, we might largely skip the north and skip the rental car altogether. The updated itinerary with this option would be --

Day 1-5: same as above

Day 6: to taxi to Wadi Rum, overnight in desert

Day 7: taxi to Aqaba/Eliat, overnight Eliat

Day 8: pick up rental car, drive through Negev to overnight near Masada

Day 9 (FRIDAY): visit Masada and Dead Sea, drive to Haifa; overnight Haifa

Day 10 (SATURDAY): day trip to Sea of Galilee; overnight Haifa

Day 11: day trip to Tel Aviv, overnight Haifa (go via train)

Day 12: drive to Jerusalem via Nazareth, drop of rental car; afternoon and overnight Jerusalem

Day 13: Old City Jerusalem

Day 14: Old City Jerusalem

Day 15: New City Jerusalem

Day 16 (FRIDAY): Jerusalem/possible day trip Bethlehem; overnight Jerusalem

Day 17: to Ben Gurion and USA

Please let me know your thoughts. I may also post in the Jordan forum to get more insights on Wadi Rum.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Aqaba
Aqaba
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,927 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,389 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Martinez, CA
Level Contributor
105 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Minor change on days 9-12 (I typed the previous message too fast!)

Day 9 (FRIDAY): Visit Masada AM, drive to Tiberias (stop in Nazareth en route); overnight Tiberias

Day 10: visit Galilee, overnight Tiberias

Day 11: visit Haifa/Akko (if time allows), Tel Aviv PM (drop off rental car)

Day 12: AM Tel Aviv, afternoon bus to Jerusalem

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Thanks for starting this thread. My wife and I are thinking of an April trip. This will be our first trip to the Middle East. We would like to spend a few days in Egypt if that is advisable. I am also interest in a 14+ day trip. I would like to hire some private guides for part of the trip. Does anyone know of outstanding individuals or organizations that I may contact?

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

I would make the following revisions:

Day 9 (FRIDAY): Visit Masada AM, drive to Tiberias (stop in Bet Shean en route); overnight Tiberias

Day 10: visit Galilee, including Nazareth, overnight Akko

Day 11: visit Akko and Haifa and/or Caesarea (as time allows), Tel Aviv PM (drop off rental car)

Day 12: AM Tel Aviv, afternoon bus to Jerusalem

If you find a place to stay in Tel-Aviv that has parking then you should consider keeping the car and driving up to Jerusalem before returning it; the weekly rental rate is usually equivalent to 4-5 days.

Mentioned in this post
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

Just a quick note about Wadi Rum. You've been to Moab (I checked your travel map), so you've seen much more beautiful desert scenery. There are a couple of arches, but nothing like Utah. Not the colors either.

Again, you could have a full day at Petra and then go to Eilate that evening.

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

I think your Mom is very brave doing a trip with 30 year old men!

I have been to Wadi Rum and it is beautiful but I would not exchange a day in the North of Israel to see more desert scapes. You will be seeing plenty of desert in Jordan and driving up from Eilat. It would be a shame to miss the underground crusader city in Akko or the Bahai gardens in Haifa, for example, in order to do Wadi Rum. Ceasarea is also worth seeing! I think it is a fascinating place and has nice restaurants and places for a cold drink that would appeal to everyone in your group.

It seems to me you are doing a lot of back and forth driving. I don't think this is necessarily the best idea. Why a day trip to Tel Aviv. If you are going to Tel Aviv, stay the night there. You and your friend can then really enjoy the nightlife that Tel Aviv has to offer. Nazareth is a sleepy little town and once you have seen the couple of churches and had lunch, you have seen it. Tiberias has a hot spring spa your mother might enjoy (and need by that time).

Sounds like an exciting adventure.

Edited: 12 December 2010, 16:51
Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Eilat
Eilat
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
10. Re: 2.5 wk itinerary Jordan/Israel -- feedback welcomed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 05:20