We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another airline question...............

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Another airline question...............

My Ky friends have decided (and rightly so!! I totally agree) that their connection in Cleveland is 'way too tight (their itinerary would be Louisville to Cleveland to Newark to Tel Aviv)......and what they would like to do is stick with Continental Airlines as we originally planned and just go out to Newark a day early.

Question is....how does one buy a ticket like that on the internet so as to NOT pay more than necessary. Neither of us could figure out how to do that. Thanks.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,354 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another airline question...............

I think you have to buy separate tickets. Newark-TLV round trip and Cleveland to Newark round trip. Just make sure you leave huge amounts of time for the return transfer since it is no longer a linked ticket.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another airline question...............

You'll have to call them and pay extra. I don't think there is a way around that. I do note that there is a flight from Louisville to Newark and then one from Newark to Tel Aviv with a 7 hour layover. They could try to plan it so that they get to Newark and eat and then shop........not perfect but neither are the hotels around Newark Airport. You can never plan a layover perfectly. I like 3-4 hours but sometimes you have to take what they have.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,012 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another airline question...............

There is a feature on their web site which allows you to choose layovers. You can put Louisville -- Cleveland (which is their hub and in any case would be flying through there) -- Newark. You then choose which flight you want. Flying on Continental via Cleveland you only need 45 mintues between flights, but an hour would be safer (also depends on weather factor during season of travel). Then put in the flight to Israel from Newark. Good idea to have at least 1.5 hours in between these two flights. Since you are flying all the way on Continental your luggage is sent straight through to Tel Aviv.

In general it is less expensive if you have a very long layover. Do not buy two different tickets, it's cheaper to purchase a through fare from Louisville to Tel Aviv. You can also call Continental for help or call a local travel agent who will be happy to help you.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,354 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another airline question...............

I would never, never, never leave only 1.5 hours to check into an international flight to Israel. Chana--stop, please stop, giving incorrect advice on what to do in American airports!

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another airline question...............

I always appreciate everybody's input/advice.

The issue as the extremely short layover (1 hour) showing in Cleveland on the outbound portion for them out of Louisville. (We are wanting to do the Continental flight that arrives TLV at 9:15 a.m.....).....it was under an hour. Layover in Newark on the outgoing was just 2 hours.

"WHAT IF...."....kept coming up. And since I have had those "what ifs" myself (missing flights because of connections so tight that the airlines should have never sold the ticket!).....I concur with their reasoning.

I will pass along the info about the possibility of using the website to book with coming into Newark the afternoon previously and see if they can figure that out. I will also recommend that, if necessary, they call the airline and get help. I know that if you actually BOOK via telephone you are charged more and they are trying to avoid that. Thanks again.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,012 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another airline question...............

I am not arguing with anyone on this forum. As a travel professional I can assure you that the informtion I am giving is true and correct when it comes to international travel especially in and out of JFK and Newark. You check in ONCE and depending on the airline only walk to the next plane without even going through security.

Chana

Israel

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another airline question...............

Certainly no arguement from me! ***smile*** I'm a peaceful person!

But, just from my own personal experience a tight connection can be "disastrous". And this happened to me twice on DOMESTIC flights........one when I was going to DFW and one when I was going to Myrtle Beach. The one going to Myrtle Beach had me changing concourses in Milwaukee and that going through security again caused me to miss plane (I begged people to let me go to the head of the line to no avail)...and on the other one it was just too little time to get to the gate after a very short delay out of Indianapolis.

It is going to work out. I have learned now that when one asks for an extra night in a city along the way (in the USA before departing to TLV) it raises the ticket price over 2X the original amount. Ridiculous! So, our Kentucky travelers will just go ahead and arrive TLV a day early. That will work out fine (see my other thread asking about a hotel...............).................

Thanks, everybody!

Kathy

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another airline question...............

Honestly, Chana, 1.5 hours connection time in EWR going to Israel? You must be joking!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another airline question...............

The answer might be very simple:

1. you bought a ticket in a more cheaper class (for example usually class Y is very cheap)

2.if you checked the price via a travel agency it is very likely that in the price that they have shown you they added also their commission.

people usually don't care about the class.. they know only (first, business, economy...) the specific letter that represent each one of this classes has a huge meaning regarding to the ticket price.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another airline question...............

You would choose the "multiple city" optiion on continental.com. Then update the itinerary with the dates you want to travel to those cities.