We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any driving routes to avoid?

I was just reading someone elses post regarding the safety of driving on highway 90. I too am planning a trip to Israel and am considering renting a car and driving and am wondering if there are any specific routes or highways that should be avoided?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

There is no danger in driving on Israeli roads. There are checkpoints on certain roads. ie. when you leave Jerusalem and go onto route 90. However, that is a safe road. Your vehicle will be marked as a rental. It would be very difficult to stray into a dangerous area. The security personnel at the checkpoint would question where you are going and turn you around.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

According to statistic in some roads more accidents occur. Usually in these roads you will see more police cars. According to Or Yarok (a non profit organization which it's goal to make the roads safer) there are 43 Red roads in Israel. Road 90 section 66 is among them, from Menahmia Junction to Zenach junction (6.1 km long).

According to equalization between Israel and Europe (European Transport Safety Council), Which Israel has worked with since 2007. Israel is not safest among all scales that were measured... but it's not also among the worst...

So the best advice I can give is.. just be a safe driver.. don't take as granted that the other drivers will follow the rules and regulations... be prepared for any situation that can occur while driving.. and that is not apply just for Israel... it apply for driving anywhere on the globe.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Have rented a car in Israel and although I would never drive in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem, we had no problems anywhere else. The highways were easy driving, we just paid close attention to the road when there was a lot of traffic. Sometimes there are traffic jams in the middle of nowhere which is always interesting.

Should not be a problem driving at all.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Driving in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem is no big deal--these are not like big cities in Europe, Asia, America. But it is certainly more convenient to leave your car in a lot when visiting these cities and to take public transportation or taxis or to walk.

Driving in Israel is safe and the drivers are far more courteous than the urban myths that proliferate.

The main thing to be concerned about is driving into areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority with an Israeli rental car.

Other than that, I have found no significant difference between driving a rental car in Israel than in a dozen other countries I have visited.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Following up on the above, it is prohibited by the rental companies to drive their vehicles in areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority. These include, but are not necessarily limited to Ramallah, Bethlehem, Tul Karem, Jenin, Kalkiya, Jericho. The entire area that is called the West Bank is NOT under the control of the Palestinian Authority.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

So if I wanted to visit Bethlehem I would have to take a taxi to the control point and walk across?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Yes, you have to use either an Arab taxi (from the Damascus Gate) or bus. See the TOP QUESTIONS on the right side of the Israel forum page for details.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Thank you SparkOC for your comments. I drove in many big cities all over the world. In comparison I find Tel Aviv is not a difficult city for driving. Parking, like in any big city is a problem. There are parking lots for a fee. Jerusalem is more complicated. But still I find that people are exaggerating. True, it is easy to get along in the city without a car and use taxis and buses but driving in the cities is not a big deal.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

To minimize stress, I'd avoid driving ANYWHERE during rush hour!

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any driving routes to avoid?

Rush hours are just nerve racking and time consuming but not difficult driving.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 18:24