We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple Mount question

nj
Level Contributor
183 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Temple Mount question

I realize that religious objects are not permitted when visiting the Temple Mount. If I am carrying a small bible in my purse, but do not take it out or open it, is that permitted? Do they search all your belongings before allowing you to enter the site; and if they found it would take it away? I'd like to have the bible with me for the rest of the day's activities and am not sure what to do with it just for the short visit to the Temple Mount.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,949 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple Mount question

You can try leaving a small bag with your Bible at the security point which is at the entrance to the Western Wall Plaza, adjacent to the ramp leading up to the Mughrabi Gate, which is the access point to the Temple Mount. This would mean your having to back track to there when you complete your tour of the Temple Mount as you will exit the Mount from a different gate.

Yes, they will check all your bags, etc. and no, you will not be permitted to take it with you even if you promise to leave it in your bag.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple Mount question

To strengthen what Oreet says, I met someone who had a small phone book from a European city which was confiscated as the Waqf authorities believed it to be a religious book and no amount of explanation helped. You can leave your bible as mentioned and return to pick it up when you have completed your visit. Also are also not suppose to wear any religious symbols, although I have heard that occasionally they overlook this, if it's not too large.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple Mount question

What has been written above can not be over-emphasized. If they find the Bible, if you are lucky they will deny your access, if you are unlucky you can end up arrested for "planning on praying" and if you are really unlucky you can start a riot when hot heads on the mount decide you are part of an organized effort! ( dont' attempt to put logic into the equation.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temple Mount question

And rdglady is totally and completely correct and not exaggerating.

Chana

Israel

nj
Level Contributor
183 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temple Mount question

Thank you for the information. I assume they must allow smart phones, though, which could contain written information, e-books of various forms, etc.

You are all very helpful with your information and insights.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temple Mount question

Yes, but DO NOT TRY AND OUTSMART THEM AND HAVE A BIBLE AP. We are very serious in our warning and so are they!!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temple Mount question

You will be asked to shut off the smart-phone and not use it while on the Temple Mount (or even asked to leave it with the guard). You can however, take photographs with your camera.

Chana

Israel

8. Re: Temple Mount question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2011, 06:18