We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry into Israel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
168 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Entry into Israel

Will there be any problems with and American being aloud into Israel with passport stamps from Tunisia, Jordan, Syria or Lebanon?

I have already visited Tunisia but not Jordan, Syria, or Lebanon.

I would like to visit those three as well as Israel one day.

I have read in multiple places that someone would not be aloud into Syria or Lebanon with an Israel passport stamp.

Should I visit Lebanon and Syria before going to Israel?

Will I be aloud to enter into Israel with any of the above stamps in my passport?

Sorry if this has been mentioned six million times already.

Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry into Israel

Only 5 million times.... :-)

Your prior travels will not keep you out of Israel. You will need to answer lots of questions about your activities in those countries, which remain in a state of war with Israel. Be patient and answer the questions without defensiveness or attitude. They can't read your mind and are just protecting everyone.

On the other hand, other than Egypt and Jordan (whch have peace treaties iwth Israel), other Arab countries may not admit you with an Israeli stamp in your passport. Syria and Lebanon definitely will not. You can ask Israeli authorities not to stamp your passport, and 95% of the time they will stamp a separate sheet of paper, but there is no guarantee. Your best bet is to visit Israel last on a trip involving Arab countries. Even then, they may still decline to admit you if they find out about your Israel travel plans (e.g., from looking at your full air tickets).

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
168 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry into Israel

Thank you very much. I will visit Israel last on a separate trip from Syria and Lebanon.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
168 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry into Israel

Thank you very much. I will visit Israel last on a separate trip from Syria and Lebanon.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry into Israel

keep in mind that you can always get a new passport with no evidence of entering Israel... so if you visit Israel this year.. and thinking about going Syria in your next trip.... you can do that as well.. just get a new passport.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
168 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry into Israel

I wasn't sure if your passport number transferred into your new passport and if they swiped your new passport, it could show where you've been previosly on your old passport.

Also will Syria or Lebanon give an American with sort of a Jewish last name any issues when entering?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry into Israel

>>>>I wasn't sure if your passport number transferred into your new passport and if they swiped your new passport, it could show where you've been previosly on your old passport.<<<<

I don't think countries share information like this. only USA authorities know your old passport numbers and they decently do not share them with Syria. it's impossible for any country to know where you have visited before unless they find evidence in your passport or your airline tickets.

>>>>Also will Syria or Lebanon give an American with sort of a Jewish last name any issues when entering?<<<<

I am not sure. I know that Saudi Arabia did not allow Jewish to enter it's territory until 1994.. so there might be that other countries do not allow as well.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entry into Israel

American passports, unlike some other countries have a new number each time they are issued. You could potentially have some problems if you have an obviously Jewish name!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entry into Israel

Both from the internet and from personal acquaintances, I have heard of many Jews who have visited Lebanon (in particular) and also Syria without any problems, including some with clearly Jewish names. You can google and find plenty of examples. It's any real or suspected link with Israel that seems to create problems.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
160 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entry into Israel

<<<<<You can ask Israeli authorities not to stamp your passport, and 95% of the time they will stamp a separate sheet of paper, but there is no guarantee.>>>>>

Regarding this issue: if I do so, asking Israeli authorities not to stamping my passport, could be an problem with the hotel reservation and rent a car company, about paying VAT ??

If I present my passport and the separate sheet of paper with the stamp, it's ok to paying services without Israelian VAT ??

Thx !

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entry into Israel

>>Regarding this issue: if I do so, asking Israeli authorities not to stamping my passport, could be an problem with the hotel reservation and rent a car company, about paying VAT ??<<

if your passport was not stampped you can not appy for vat refund.