We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

The Dan chain and many other chains worldwide have implemented a new policy which particularly affects prepaid reservations eg group tours. Dan Hotels are sneaky at check-in. They swipe your card as is customary. They don't tell you they are actually charging one or two nights to your card, and they will not tell you or issue a receipt as most credit merchant agreements require. We happened to catch one charge at the filthy Dan Tel Aviv from our bank's web site during our stay. Once home Citi informed us that their King David Hotel in Jerusalem had failed to reverse a $735 charge. If you must stay at a Dan Hotel, also be aware of dirt, and creepy crawly things.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

It is common for hotels, car rental agencies etc. to swipe your card as a guarantee against additional charges. This happens world-wide. There is never a receipt given since this isn't an actual charge but a "hold" . When i buy gas in NYC the gas station has a sign warning me that my credit card company may place a hold that may stay for 24 hours before I am allowed to pump gas!

If you feel a hotel is physically dirty--than write a trip report. Personally I stay at the Dan Panorama Jerusalem ALL the time and have never seen any dirt or creepy crawly things. I can't imagine such at the King David either. It IS sneaky for you to try to get a negative report in here. Do it in a place where the establishment has an opportunity to respond.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

New policy? It has been like this since I can remember myself and I am sure it goes way longer than that.

They are suppose to use it to charge you if you broke something or took something from the mini bar which you did not pay for. If there has been a mistake I am sure that they will fix it if you will contact them. your recommendation to avoid Dan hotels because of this "swipe" is not realistic as ALL hotels do that.

I did not understand from your MSG what did they charge you for? and what was the disagreement between you and the hotel?

Edited: 29 January 2011, 19:51
Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

Always notify your credit card issuer when you go abroad, or even in the States, and notify them when you return home. Be vigilant if you can when you travel, and check your account on the web if able.

The King David put through 2 nights hold, $735. It was a hold, and didn't appear on-line. Citi disclosed this to me days after checkout, requesting to know if I was aware of the charge, or was it fraudulent? Dan Hotels was attempting to take that money from hold to their pocket every day. Upon follow-through hotel admitted to "an oversight by our accounting department". Really? At the Dan Tel Aviv they charged $365 against a different card and refused to acknowledge the transaction. It was not a hold, it was charged. It took them overnight to process the charge, a week to reverse it. Is business so bad they have to resort to squeezing the credit card float? Other hotels and travel companies do this, but they do so in compliance with their merchant agreements. Dan Hotels stands out as the lone credit card experience of this nature in all the years. They're not paying attention to cleanliness, or consumer protection. Sloppy accounting and sloppy housecleaning go together?

4. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 06:19
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

Note: the above removed post was mine. I didn't have time to correct a few things I had written and therefore removed it and am writing this.

Charles--nothing anyone says here will convince you that they made an error ( humans make errors) Nothing anyone says here will convince you that the Dan chain is not out to steal from you or anyone else. They are an old established hotel group, here in Israel. The King David hotel is a world reknown hotel frequented by government leaders. They do not need to "steal" your $735.

I did go to your review. Interestingly it was written on January 5 and DOES have a so so management response. Yet, for reasons I don't get--3 weeks later you started your thread--revenge, annoyance/

The Tel AViv hotel gets mostly excellent reviews. You didn't like a room --they changed it. There were other things you were unhappy with and by your own admission the hotel tried and tried to compensate you. I have a feeling the only thing that would have made you happy was a no charge night or two--and obviously that doesn't happen! I am also not understanding how the hotel paid the taxi but the driver managed to get more money out of you. How does the word NO! sound?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

"unappetizing meal buffets put out by the Dan Hotel" ????

I'm curious to know what your idea of good food is !

Cockroaches: warning to people from cold countries - cockroaches are much more common in warm Mediterranean areas than they are in northern climes. The winged variety can fly into the cleanest home or hotel.

7. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 09:27
Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

This is not about the food, it's about credit card fraud prevention and protection when traveling. But since you mention it, how would you feel about a property's kitchen and the food they cook when you encounter a cockroach in your room? The largest cockroach I encountered in a hotel room was in 1972 in Puerto Rico. I've spent about 100 nights in San Juan hotels in the past 10 years alone, and have never seen another. My second occurrence took place last month at Dan TA.

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

I contacted president of Dan by email directly upon my return home, one day after we checked out. I requested nothing, and I also submitted a review on TA. Dan's management neglected to contact for more than 2-1/2 days. When TA finally posted my review, they called within hours, and offered a bribe in form of a refund if I would remove my TA review.

Europe
Level Contributor
109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dan Hotels Credit Card Policy

Unauthorized use of credit card happens, also by mistake and respectable companies. The longer time to receive the money back to the account seems to have to do with the credit company registration of the transaction rather than slowness by the returning party.

I´ve stayed at numerous Israeli hotels and their service has always been correct. It wouldn´t be wise to generalize on basis of a routine check of the card when checking in.

Seeing cockroaches is also rather exceptional. Thank you for the picture! I didn´t realize they may take a walk on the shelf. I may from now on cover my tooth brush when traveling but not worry about the food that´s of better quality than the grub at home.

Things could be worse. You could have been superstitious Christians to whom the room # 666 might have meant a bad omen.