We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

I am considering going on a 1-2 day tour to Petra from Jerusalem. Can anyone recommend a tour company that offers tours only to Petra? I would also consider staying overnight, if recommended to see the area.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

Tours to Petra start in Eilat. Many tour companies offer 1-2 day tours. Search the forum for recommendations.

For more options see

Edited: 28 January 2011, 21:10
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

For more options see TOP QUESTIONS on the Israel forum page - Visiting Petra from Israel.

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

Thank you, Yes, I have seen various posts regarding tours from Eilat.

I really have no interest in going to Eilat, and I will be driving down from Jerusalem solely to go to Petra. Do you know if I have to go to Eilat to pick up the tour? Or is there another pickup location in Israel?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,390 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

Eilat is the closest Israeli city to the border crossing into Jordan. It is logical that tours start in Eilat. You can time your drive down to not need a hotel but meet the tour. Contact the company, they may allow you to join them at the border.

Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

There are some travel agents that organize the tours to Petra. They can assist in reserving for you the flights to and from Eilat and a pickup that will take you from Eilat's airport to the border with Jordan.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 14:31
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
570 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

We thought about going to Petra but decided against it because of the cost. Even the one day tours are pricey...upwards of $300 per person plus extra fees on top of that.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,441 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

There are tours departing from Jerusalem but due to the great distance you will have little quality time in Petra. Most require at least a 2 day stay because of the time involved in crossing the border at Hussein/Allenby bridge which increases the cost and the time element involved. Best to either fly to Eilat, as mentioned or drive to Eilat and spend one day there and one in Petra.

Chana

Israel

8. Re: Petra - Side Trip from Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2012, 10:26