We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Brazil
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Shalom,

I have a rental car reservation for picking the car in Jerusalem and delivering it in Tel Aviv three days later. This will be my first driving experience in Israel. I had planned to go from Jerusalem to Ein Bokek early in the morning, having a bath at the Dead Sea, and arriving in Eilat on the same day. Now I noticed that at the reservation confirmation there is a clause that says that I may not "drive into Palestinian Authority territory".

hat are my options? How much longer is the road from Jerusalem to Ein Bokek if I don't pass through the Palestinian territory?

I'm confused.

Thanks for your help.

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Route 1 and 90 to Ein Bokek from Jerusalem does NOT go through PA territory. While it does go beyond the Green Line, it does not enter PA areas.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

As noted - the direct route will take you only through areas that are 100% under Israeli control. You will not be entering any area that is under the Palestinian Authority. Enjoy, drive safely and have a great time.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,920 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Palestinian Authority ( PA) territory, refers to territory that is under the direct control of the PA. Today these areas include, Bethlehem, Ramallah, Jericho, Tul Karem, Schem ( Nabulus) Kalkiyah, Jenin and a bunch of smaller towns. Odds are you weren't visiting them anyway. If you were--you can't bring your rental vehicle--all other places, as Oreet indicated are okay for driving a rental.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Just to add to what has been offered, I drove a rental last summer from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea (Ein Boqeq). Only one more tip-it can be a liitle complicated to get out of Jerusalem. I left from Budget rent a car next to King David. Check out your map (Google maps?), ask directions just to confirm. The signs to follow are for Dead Sea and Maale Adumim (not into Maale Adumim- but in that direction). Highway 1 and 90 are perfectly fine and safe.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
748 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

We just did the drive, there were no problems. The best thing for us...and this was true throughout our stay was we got a navigation system. At first we thought about renting one in Israel, but at $10-$15 a day it was more cost effective to just buy one which we did in the States before we left. As far as I know, the only brand that allows you do download Israeli maps or to purchase them on a card is Garmin.

Of course you can also use it in the US when you return. The maps either through download or on card are about $75. Well worth it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

We did that drive, from King David to Ein Bokek.

The only problem was getting out of Jlem. We used Google maps, and it took us going directly north of the Old city, going on 417 to get to get to Rt 1. In reality, the start of 417 was a dusty winding road without adequate signage through a less developed area, and we had to stop and ask directions.

I suggest you use another route.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

I just tried plugging this into google maps and it did not send me via 417 - but rather 404, which is a main road and the best way to go. That is the only change I would make - even though 417 is not a problem, just takes you through lots of neighborhoods that you can avoid.

It's true the trickiest part of this trip is getting out of Jerusalem, after that it is smooth sailing.

paras42
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Similarly, I was planning on driving from Jerusalem to see the Qumran Caves, Masada, Ein Bokek, and Ein Gedi Nature Preserve via route 90. We were planning on spending the night at Ein Bokek, and eventually returning to Tel Aviv.

Would all this be possible using an Israeli Rental car? Would we have to go through checkpoints, and if so would this take a long time (US citizens)? Thanks in advance!

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

All the places you have referred to are along Route 90, with Qumran being the only spot in Area C, and permissable to enter with Yellow plated rental cars. Leaving Jerusalem there is no checkpoint however, just north of Ein Gedi as you exit Area C there is a little road block...there is no line there, and you simply pass through usually just with a wave from the security personnel.

Ecublens...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

I'm also renting a car , but from the airport in Tel-Aviv and driving on our arrival day to Ein Bokek, Dead Sea. Reading all the questions above, wanted to know which is the best road to go without getting in problems. If somebody can also recommend what to see in the area, we are staying 4 days. Than we will go back till Haifa and stop on the way in interesting places to visit and overnight in hotel for 3 more days. Names of hotels and recommendations are welcome!

Thank you