We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Brazil
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Shalom,

I have a rental car reservation for picking the car in Jerusalem and delivering it in Tel Aviv three days later. This will be my first driving experience in Israel. I had planned to go from Jerusalem to Ein Bokek early in the morning, having a bath at the Dead Sea, and arriving in Eilat on the same day. Now I noticed that at the reservation confirmation there is a clause that says that I may not "drive into Palestinian Authority territory".

hat are my options? How much longer is the road from Jerusalem to Ein Bokek if I don't pass through the Palestinian territory?

I'm confused.

Thanks for your help.

Ecublens...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

I'm also renting a car , but from the airport in Tel-Aviv and driving on our arrival day to Ein Bokek, Dead Sea. Reading all the questions above, wanted to know which is the best road to go without getting in problems. If somebody can also recommend what to see in the area, we are staying 4 days. Than we will go back till Haifa and stop on the way in interesting places to visit and overnight in hotel for 3 more days. Names of hotels and recommendations are welcome!

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

When you leave the airport follow signs to Jerusalem and Hwy 1. Take Hwy 1 all the way past Jerusalem and it will then head down to the Dead Sea area.

This will lead you to the Almog Junction where you will meet Hwy 90 - turn right (south) on 90 - the Dead Sea will be on your left and head directly south on this road till you reach Ein Bokek. Very straightforward.

In the Dead Sea area be sure to visit Masada and Ein Gedi.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Sony--Welcome to TA and the israel forum. You might get more responses to your question if you start your own thread. Below the reply box it says "Ask A Question" --if you click that you are starting a new thread. Just leave it in the Israel forum ( general) since we all read everything anyway!

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
9 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

I bought an Israeli map to my European Garmin GPS and it seams to not know the term "Ein Bokek". Somebody, any idea what I do wrong ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Ein Boqek is the name of the hotel area which should be in the GPS. If you look at the map of Israel put your finger on the top of the Dead Sea on the left side, there is a road -- number 90. Continue down the road which will divide into two at the southern end of the sea and then turn left and right. Just as the road divides which is actually a service road to the hotels you will find Ein Boqek. Also try spellling the way I have. There are no uniform spellings of place names in Israel which many times makes using a GPS difficult.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

This is a perfect example of what happens with transliterations and why some of us here on the forum are anti-GPS.

You may find one of these spellings will work: Ein Boqeq or Ein Bokek or Ein Boqek or Ein Bokeq or Ayn, etc.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

I also used a Garmin GPS during my two weeks stay in Israel. I was intensively driving in Israel and I don’t know how I would survive without it. GPS was helpful in every step of the way: when I was needed a gas GPS brought me to the nearest gas station, when I was hungry the GPS quickly found for me the nearest restaurant. Ones GPS even help me to find where I parked my car (due to a high outside temperature I didn’t leave the device in the car, always carried with me in the pocket).

The GPS was worth every penny.

I agree that programming sometimes is challenging in Israel. But I quickly found a way to solve the issue. The first there is no needs to type a full name of the towns or streets. It is enough to type a few first letters and GPS would give a list of the names to pick from. Also if there is HA in the name HA should be typed as a separate word. I also found that in many cases Garmin spells the name of the towns and streets in the same way as the Google map does.

Colorado
Level Contributor
228 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

I can relate to the above thread. I drove an Avis rental car this very route today. I had a GPS, which took me to the Ein Bokek, Massada, Ein Gedi the LONG WAY through the Negev Desert. It turned out to be a beautiful ride but was 3 hours+ versus 1.5 hours along 1 and 90. I came home along 1 and 90. No worries. 2 check points where I was just waved through. An absolutely gorgeous drive. I must admit my GPS spoke Hebrew and I spoke English so the spellings of locations were sometimes a challenge. I needed to return the car to King David Street and I couldn't find it on the GPS. That's because the GPS only knew it under its Hebrew name. A by-passer on the street was kind enough to plug it into my GPS and off I went! I drove for 5 days in Israel and got along just fine. If I can do it, YOU can do it!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

Sony--you may be better off if you start your own thread. You will get answers to your question, Are you staying 4 days at the Dead Sea?

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
9 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Can't go to Ein Bokek in rental car?

VisitIsrael, Oreets, lookshappy, KellyAnder,

Thanks a lot for your advise