We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring Israel home?

Des Moine
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring Israel home?

Is there any law that would prohibit me from collecting some Israel dirt in a few glass jars to bring home with me? I know this might be a dumb question, but I do not was to get stopped at the airport for doing something illegal. I know here at home it is not a problem, but we do not have people lining up wanting to do this.

Thanks

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

Coloured Sands in the Makhtesh Hakatan

We have a special place down in the Negev specifically designated as a place to take sand from.

In the Makhteshim there are a myriad of colours so to stop people damaging the landscape there is one special place where you can fill your bottles with all the different colours.

I have taken people there and provided them with tiny glass bottles and some stiff paper (to make a funnel) and I have seen some really creative results. So if you go, supply yourselves with some small bottles (local pharmacy is agood place for small glass bottles.

Tip: don't just go to the part where everyone takes the sand from: allow time to wander a llttle bit beyond - the views are breath-taking.

There is also a place within the site of Timna in the south, where they provide you with the small bottle and there are containers with all the different colours of sand ready for you. There is clay for you to seal the bottle.(This activity is included in the entry fee for the park)

Bakersfield...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

thanks so much to the person who asked this question and the people who answered this question! i have been searching for this exact response! im grateful!

Level Contributor
144 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

Several trips to Israel ago (circa 2000), I found folks selling a neat little set of 3 very small bottles: one filled with sand, one Jordan river water, and one olive oil. For a small price they were a big hit with those for whom these items had religious significance back here. As I recall I did not declare them since the sand wasn't "soil" at least in my view. In any event, its another alternative to bringing back your own dirt.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

Last night when my husband came home, his shoes left dirt on the floor. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about that and told him that from now on he has to remove his shoes upon entering the house or else I will gladly donate them to tourists who would like to take home some of Israel's soil. :-)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

I brought back a stone from the shore of the Sea of Galilee, a salt "ball" from the Dead Sea, a stone from the shore of the Red Sea, and small stones, sherds from Neot Kedumim (the staff member encouraged us to take them). I keep them along with some shekels (with the pomegranate, menorah, and lyre) in a glass jar and in a small dish on my desk. I find them to be a meaningful remembrance of my trips to Israel, and I left something of myself in Israel by planting trees.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

Aurora what a lovely idea, even for a gift to someone else. I'm adopting it.

Chana

Israel

new york
Level Contributor
237 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

They sell a can of Israel air that comes in a sealed tuna looking can. It is one of those things I call "tourist trap". I remeber that when I was younger I always used to make laugh at people that spent some $5 on a can of air (that by the way says "do not open as contents will become invalid" so my brother brought me home from Israel on day ziploc bag of air and wrote on it "do not open as contents will become invalid" .........

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

Chana,

Thanks! I'm glad that I shared my Idea with the forum.

—Aurora

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

For years a Conservative rabbi in California used to ask congregants going to Israel to bring a few rocks back - he would give one to each Bar/Bat Mitzvah so they would have a connection to the Land of Israel and encourage them to hang on to them until they could make the journey to Israel and return them.

It is a custom for many religious Jews who are buried outside of Israel to be intered with a small quantity of dirt from the Land of Israel. I once worked at a convention of American Jewish funeral directors in Jerusalem. In each participant's kit, along with the pamphlets, pens, totes and such was a small bag of Israeli soil - for just this purpose.

20. Re: Can I bring Israel home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 10:17