We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

We are a group of 4 (husband and I, my mother, 13 year old son) who are visiting this July. We have reservations at the Harmony Hotel (2 rooms) but after reading some posts, we are looking at staying in an apartment instead. We'll be in Jerusalem for 6 nights. I was looking at this apartment on Hamaaravim Place:

sharonsplaces.com/jerusalem-vacation-apartme…

It was Kathy4HIM's email about renting from this company that made me look at the website.

Are there any downsides I should think about in renting instead of staying at a hotel? Having a washer and more space sounds really nice - we will have already been traveling for 10 days when we get there. Any comments on the location?

Thanks

Kathy

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

The only downside is you don't get breakfast. The location is good. The apartment is advertising a brand new kosher kitchen. If you do not keep strictly Kosher please advise the landlord.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,126 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

You will have to prepare your own meals after having found and gone grocery shopping in a country where you are not familiar with it's products. In addition you do not have the advantage of asking the conceirge for assistance or advice regarding your daily tours.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

The location is great, everything is nearby. The pluses of renting an apartment are obvious - more space, more privacy, a home like atmosphere, the ability to save on costs by having some of your meals at home, etc. laundry and so on.

The drawbacks are missing out on the pampering and services of a hotel.

Only you can decide which is better for you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

Thank you all for your advice - especially your expertise in the location - the hardest thing to guess just by looking at a map.

Yes, we will have to prepare our own breakfast. But since we will have been traveling for 10 days by this time, I think the extra space (and washer/dryer) will be appreciated. And going grocery shopping in a foreign country will be part of the adventure.

I've discussed the kosher kitchen with the landlord. We don't keep kosher, but are only planning to have breakfast, and we'll keep to dairy and pareve kosher products.

Thanks again to all the experts here. You've helped me more than you know in planning this trip.

Kathy

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

I think you will LOVE being in an apartment............we have fixed eggs and toast and cheese ...that kind of thing for our breakfasts here.........none of us speak or read Hebrew, but, didn't have any real problems buying groceries at all. We have found Sharon easy to work with and very pleasant. We are in the apartment on Narkiss, so, cannot personally speak of any of her other apartments, but, if this one is a good indicator you will be in for a treat, in my opinion.

Kathy

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

Kathy -

I have to thank you for all of your advice - it's almost like you are test-driving part of our trip for us. We had already reserved the Ramot Resort, when I saw your post praising it. There were few reviews before that, so yours was very reassuring. I now we found what looks like a lovely apt.

We are also following some of your older advice - traveling most of the time on our own, with a few days with a guide in select areas. Right now we have a guide for 2 days (out of 5) in Jerusalem. I'm also planning a guide for a day in the Golan. Any recommendations?

Enjoy the rest of your trip. And thanks so much for all the advice.

Kathy

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

How many days are you in the North? To find a guide for one day could be a little difficult (certainly not impossible...............)........perhaps somebody here can recommend someone specifically for just one day.

I'm so glad I have been helpful to you.

Kathy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

Could you let me know whether you stayed at the apartment and your thoughts and other insights of your trip?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

I think that you should send the OP a "Personal Message" because it is unlikely that he will look at this old thread.

10. Re: Jerusalem apartment instead of hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:15