We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blind museum / not by bread alone

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
blind museum / not by bread alone

I have reservations for myself, my daughter and 3 nephews at the blind museum in Holon.

I have also heard of a place called "na la'ga'at" which has shows performed by blind and deaf actors. The show when I will be in the area is called Not by Bread Alone.

Are these similar or different kinds of experiences? Does it make sense to do both? ( Money and logistics are also factors in my decisions.)

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

The blind museum is known as "Dialog Bahshiha". It is a unique way to experience the world from a blind person point of view.. it is amazing and I wouldn't skip under any circumstances.

Regarding to Na Laga'at... it's a complex with a theater, restaurant and a coffee house. The restaurant is a "blind restaurant".. there is no light at all. You can choose whether to order in advanced or be surprised with what any kind of food that they might serve. The fun part is that you can't actually see what you are eating - a prat of the experience of the blind people life. Another part is the coffee shop with all of it's employees are deaf. The communication with the waitress is without words. The theater is with eleven deaf\blind actors.. I have never seen that show but from what I understood from others the show is about their limited access world and there is something with baking a bread with the audience ... I think that it would be better to wait for replies from people that saw this show before.

anyway, don't skip the blind museum.

Edited: 02 June 2011, 19:44
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

How old are your nephews? If they are young, and not "into" interesting food experiences, then they may not enjoy the Na La'Gaat restaurant. It is pitch-black, and the food is not particularly kid-friendly, more for adult tastes. Of course it is a lot of fun to eat your food in the dark with your fingers (knives and forks, although provided, I have discovered are very difficult to use when you can see absolutely nothing !!!).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

Definately go for Na LaGaat. Although the restaurant and show are interesting, I believe the kids will come out with more via the 'blind' museum.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

Chana can you clarify for the OP what your recommendation is. You have contradicted yourself.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

I came on the board to post my experiences with the theatre production Na Lega'at - to find there was this thread!

I have been meaning to go to see the show for some time and finally had the opportunity.

First let me clarify. In Jaffa (at the port) is a building that comprises three separate elements.

1. A restaurant that is completely blacked out. The diners cannot see anything and the experience can be, to say the least, disconcerting. The waiters on the other hand are perfectly at ease as they are all blind.

2. A cafe where the waiters are all deaf (and possibly also mute). The place mats have pictures showing several signs (such as thank you, and OK). You can of course order by simply pointing at the menu but obviously you will want to try and communicate with signs.

3. The theatre which has a performance where all the main players are deaf or blind or mute or a combination of all three. It is quite indescribable - an amazing experience which I hope you will trust me when I say - go and see it.

This theatre was the first in the world (now copied by others) where deaf, mute and blind actors performed. It has literally given new life to people who were considered unable to be independent, and has spread a message around the world of hope and understanding.

Many of the actors suffer from a particular illness, (I think the one that Helen Keller had), that leaves them in a silent world which they cannot see.

Whilst I personally felt very sad when watching these wonderfully brave people, they themselves show joy and optimism on stage.

The play centres around making bread - and by the end of the performance hot bread has been baked, which the audience is invited to taste at the end - coming up on to the stage and mingling with the actors.

Na lega'at means Please touch. (a twist to the usual do NOT touch) and relates to how important touch is to these people for whom it is often their only form of communication. More than that - without touch how will they know you are there? A very sad and lonely feeling.

For details of opening times and performances check out the site

http://www.nalagaat.org.il/home.php

Pamela

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

Footsteps, for which ages do you most recommend the show?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

I hesitate to suggest an age for kids as only you know your own children and their maturity.

Personally I think the younger children are when they are exposed to people with "handicaps" the better so they can learn empathy, understanding and of course the message that we are all imperfect but none the less important human beings.

However here there is a problem. As the dialogue is in Hebrew those who don't understand Hebrew have to read the sur-titles over the stage.

If your children are not fluent readers (able to read the sur-titles AND look at what is happening on the stage) then this option will not be open to them - and a lot of what is going on will be lost on them.

Hope this helps.

Pamela

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

can u make reservations in the blind museum by email?

do they have hours on Fridays?

thanks!

Sima

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

Welcome to TA and the Israel forum.

Here is the link to the museum. Note, it is not a "blind Museum" You may have to call Israel to make a reservation. Don't forget israel is 7 hours ahead of the US

childrensmuseum.org.il/front/…

Don't forget to ask for an English presentation.

BTW do you know this is now being presented in lower Manhattan?

10. Re: blind museum / not by bread alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:36