We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Thanks in advance. Quite a while ago I posted a question about my arrival date/time, but to refresh; I am taking a flight from Portland, Oregon USA to TLV with an eight hour layover in Warsaw, Poland, overall a long flight. I arrive in TLV around 2-3 AM on Friday Oct 28. The consensus (answers in that thread) was to go ahead and book a hotel in Tel Aviv for Thursday night as well as Friday, so I can gain access to my room at that hour and then rest up.

I am going to use Eldan since I love the flexiblility.

I have already made a reservation with the Gordon Inn (which I still could cancel) for those dates and then I intend to travel to the north. I have already paid for two nights in Tiberias (Oct 29-30) and head up to Jerusalem to my rental for the rest of my stay.

But now I am looking at just going to Netanya instead of Tel Aviv, maybe saving myself one night of hotel and spending it on the airport pickup. You see, to pick up my rental in Tel Aviv, I must pick it up before 1:00pm and then find a parking lot near the Gordon Inn. Most hotels in Netanya offer free parking(? I did miss out on the Margoa).

I know that one should visit Tel Aviv for a day or so, but with my schedule, etc. I just don't know how much of the modern experience I would get while I'm in Tel Aviv anyway.

Suggestions?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Arriving in Tel Aviv in the middle of the night especially on the weekend (which starts on Thursday night) will be very problematic regarding parking. Everyone is at home and the streets will be full as well as the parking lots. So your idea of going to Netanya is good unless the Eldan can assure you of parking when arriving at this hour. Tel Aviv is a city not to be missed but you could easily fit in a visit at some point later in your tour, perhaps even on your last day before going to the airport. Netanya is a bit further than Tel Aviv driving time which would be a reason to stay in Tel Aviv and arrange to pick up the car on Friday for use on Saturday, etc. The choice of course is yours, depending on your stamina after a 24 hour flight and driving in a foreign country in the middle of the night (when there is not much chance of asking for directions from pedestrians in the street) and not worrying about parking.

Whatever you choose will be the right decision for your specific situation.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

As I sit in Netanya writing i am always happy when our city gets visitors. Parking IS easier here and most ( not all) hotels DO have parking! BUT I am unsure how going to Netanya is going to save you one night hotel. Netanya is maybe 30 minutes further than TelAviv in the middle of the night. You would still not be able to check into a hotel early and you would still have loads of time, with no place to sleep. Eldan ( and all rentals, except the airport) will be closing by 1PM, here in Netanya!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Other option:

Take a train from Ben Gurion to Downtown Tel Aviv. They are super inexpensive and run 24 hours a day. They leave every hour and will get you downtown in 13 minutes. From there take a cab to your hotel. Then visit Tel Aviv without a car and take the public bus up north and rent your car there. Use it while up north and then drive to Jerusalem and drop it off. In Jerusalem you do not want to drive! It is a nightmare (in my honest opinion). Public transporation is good, cabs are cheap and you can walk almost everywhere.

To get back to the airport, take a Nesher taxi (shared taxi). Be sure to book at least 2 days in advance. For 55 shekels they pick you up from whereever you are staying and take you to the airport.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Well, I have gotten some very good advice in this thread, so I figure I will continue in it with a couple more questions. Most of these are pretty much directed at rdglady since her second home is in Netanya, but I am a fan of asking things like this in the open so all can benefit.

I am having more second thoughts about Tel Aviv (thank you VisitIsrael) and thinking about leaning more towards Netanya and have made backup reservations at the new Q Hotel (meaning I realize I am not going to save a nights worth of hotel). Anyone heard of that one? Also, I liked the train idea, I can get a train from the airport to Netanya without changing, but what about the taxi service in Netanya at 4:30 in the morning? I am open to any information and suggestions you have.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Ted

Edited: 19 August 2011, 04:33
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

I will admit that I have never heard of the "Q" hotel and just googled it It is way out in South Netanya and you will not really be in the city. Best I can do, ---First week of Sept. I have a rental car--I'll check it out. I can also talk to some people and see if they know anything about it.

RE: taxi middle of the night at the train station. If one isn't there you can always call. If the train station is open there is always security around so you would never be 'alone" However, the ad for the hotel that I saw says it is close to the Beit Yehoshua train station, not the Netanya one. I can only assume the same situation re: cabs. ( security IS the same)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

My suggestion: Have the train schedule and taxi phone number in your pocket when you land. Once you have cleared customs, figure out which train you'll be able to catch. Before you leave the airport, phone the taxi service to meet your train at the station. Try asking for help in phoning at the information counter - do not expect the taxi service to speak English. Do not expect that there will be a taxi waiting at the Netanya train station and do not expect that there will be anyone at that station who can help you get a taxi.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Thank you rglady. The interesting thing is that I can take a train at that hour to the main Netanya station, but when I plugged in the Beit Yehoshua station in the website, it then shows available trains starting at 5:27am.

@ Pitzikat: thank you too for your advice. I am trying to take a crash course in Hebrew before I arrive. Do you have any idea what the phone number for the taxi company in Netanya is? The Israel Railways website says there is a licensed taxi, but the website linked there is all hebrew. And that is going to be tough for me as I am attempting to learn how to speak a little Hebrew, but reading it is another thing all together. . . .

Thanks again,

Ted

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

If you look at the railway route map you see that the line from the airport (shown in light green) does not stop at Bet Yehoshua. You would have to get off at one of the Tel-Aviv stations and transfer to the Ashkelon-Binyamina line (shown in light blue). However the first train in the morning on this line reaches Tel-Aviv only about 5:20 AM.

As to the taxi service at the Netanya station - Rglady is the one who has the most experience here.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

There are multiple taxi companies in Israel. There is ONE that has a stand at the Netanya station. Off the top of my head I do not know which it is. I will DEFINITELY be at the train station on Aug. 31--heading to airport to meet someone. I will check it out then and post. --Someone please remember to bump this to the top--when it gets closer ( I will remember to check, I don't know if I'll remember the name of this thread)

I will post that number and some others so you will have a long list!!!

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Well, I have heard from the Q hotel and they say that parking is no problem and reception is open 24hrs a day. Hmmm. . . and they suggest to just pick up my car at the airport.

All things considered, I am leaning toards this being my best bet, then I don't have to worry about trains, taxis, etc. But if you get a chance to check out the Q Hotel, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks.