We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Thanks in advance. Quite a while ago I posted a question about my arrival date/time, but to refresh; I am taking a flight from Portland, Oregon USA to TLV with an eight hour layover in Warsaw, Poland, overall a long flight. I arrive in TLV around 2-3 AM on Friday Oct 28. The consensus (answers in that thread) was to go ahead and book a hotel in Tel Aviv for Thursday night as well as Friday, so I can gain access to my room at that hour and then rest up.

I am going to use Eldan since I love the flexiblility.

I have already made a reservation with the Gordon Inn (which I still could cancel) for those dates and then I intend to travel to the north. I have already paid for two nights in Tiberias (Oct 29-30) and head up to Jerusalem to my rental for the rest of my stay.

But now I am looking at just going to Netanya instead of Tel Aviv, maybe saving myself one night of hotel and spending it on the airport pickup. You see, to pick up my rental in Tel Aviv, I must pick it up before 1:00pm and then find a parking lot near the Gordon Inn. Most hotels in Netanya offer free parking(? I did miss out on the Margoa).

I know that one should visit Tel Aviv for a day or so, but with my schedule, etc. I just don't know how much of the modern experience I would get while I'm in Tel Aviv anyway.

Suggestions?

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Well rdglady, you asked for this thread to be bumped, so this is the bump. I hope your friends whom you picked up today did not have a bumpy ride.

If you could bump any info my way on the Q Hotel, etc, in south Netanya or the poleg beach area in general, I would appreciate having those bumps smoothed out for my plans.

Thanks ;)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

HI! While I can appreciate that the hotel has parking I do not endorse your driving here after such a long exhausting flight. It is a 45 minute drive or so from the airport and I now when I used to do it--I as exhausted! ( and I fly direct from NYC)

The hotel itself, which I believe ( as per my regular driver) to be the Old Green Beach is located in a corner of Poleg. As a reference point to others it is where Ulpan Akiva used to be! The beach near there is beautiful and there isn't anything else walking distance. A few stores for locals. You are a short drive to the center of town. ( there are one or two restarants open on the Sabbath)

I did go to the airport yesterday--took a 5:18 AM train and it was surprisingly busy with travelers and what seemed to be other folk using it to get to early jobs in Tel Aviv. It was an older train ( but comfortable) and there was no electronic strip telling you where you were. A few early stations weren't announced, and then they started manual announcements in Hebrew only. ( usually the train to BenGurion is announced in English too) This can be overcome if someone prints out the route of the train in advance and follows along. As you pull into stations, the writing is in Hebrew, English and Arabic so it is possible for everyone to find their way.

The station itself had no cabs waiting I got there early and my cab left. There are 3 numbers posted on the taxi stand and you could call others. Numbers of cabs in Netanya are

09-8611111, 09-8844444 09 887777777, 09-8822222

In terms of the hotel--next week when I have a rental AND if i have extra time I will drive over--no promises. ( I also want to see if I can check out the new Ramada)

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Thank you again rdglady so much. And of course, I do not expect you to go out of your way to check out the hotel for me. With the timing of my arrival and such, I am still not sure which would be more demanding after such a long flight (I will have an eight hour layover in Warsaw); trying to take a train and then get a taxi at that gawful hour, just take a taxi to my hotel in Netanya, or still go with the 45 min drive from the airport to my hotel on my own. After all the maps I have make it look pretty straight forward. The 1 west to the 20/2 north to the Poleg interchange. Go west to the first light, then left (south) for about two intersections, a hard left and I'm pretty much there.

If anyone else has more suggestions/knowledge/ideas, please and thank you.

If I could, I would rename this thread to the "I'm renting an Eldan car for four days in the north, but arrive at the airport at a gawfull early time on Friday morning and plan on returning the car in Jerusalem. Should I stay in Tel Aviv, no I decided to stay in Netanya instead" thread, lol.

Thanks again folks, I hope you endure my questions and sense of humor.

Toda

Edited: 02 September 2011, 04:54
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

Go by taxi or taxi and train. Yes, it is easy and the directions you gave are fine--but I am concerned that you will fall asleep driving.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

I appreciate everyone tolerating my questions here, I hope I'm not getting too much on anyone's nerves.

So, can anyone tell me how much it would be to take a taxi from Ben Gurion to south Netanya (Poleg beach), since that is most recommended?

The reason I keep beating my head on this is I wonder what's going to be harder after my long flight which arrives on 2:30 am on a Friday. Picking up a rental car from the airport and driving it to my hotel whereupon once I arrive and get checked in, I don't _really_ have to worry about any time constraints/deadlines for over 24hrs; or taking a taxi or train/taxi combo to my hotel, but having to make sure I can get to the car rental within eight hours and then drive the car back to the hotel and go from there.

I have never taken a trip like this and probably never will again, so it's "new trip adreneline" vs. "jet lag".

Thank you all so much.

16. Re: Itinerary check to the north with rental car, Tel Aviv orNet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 15:18