We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two passports - how to use them at borders??

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
two passports - how to use them at borders??

HI, i am currently living in Jordan and came into Jordan using my US passport. i also own another country passport which i just recently applied in June. This second (not US) passport has not been used, no stamps in it.

At border crossing, i am trying to avoid stamps in my US passport - which i use to travel almost everywhere. Reason is i may very well travel to Arab countries using this passport in future - especially the United Emirates where i used to live.

Technically, i can present my second passport at border crossing and have them stamp it, hence i avoid using my US passport. i will be returning Jordan via border crossing so would use the same (second passport) passport and have the Israeli and jordanian immigration stamp in it. I read earlier in separate posts on "passports" that i need to make sure both sides - Israel AND Jordan border immigration do not leave stamps in my US passport otherwise this will leave trails for my presence going through these crossings. So, thats why i elect to use my non US passport.

Question: will they be wondering how did i get into Jordan - since my second passport is brand new and dosent has any stamps in it? or is it pretty common immigration see new passports since i know many Americans apply a second passport to go to israel?

i guess i can say i lost the old one and this is a replacement - hence no stamps. but the (second) passport is issued in June. this would imply i have been travelling in jordan for 3 months! does that make sense?

is showing them both my US and second passport and ask them to please stamp on the second passport an idea i should entertain?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

First of all--more for others than for you. Jordan does NOT honor requests to not stamp a passport--so you always have a record of being in israel. ( Coming or going on an Israeli -Jordanian border--not too much intelligence is needed to figure out where you came from or where you are going.

In terms of your question. Jordan may wonder how you got to Jordan as well as Israel. I would carry both passports. Remember Israeli authorities are well aware that an Israeli stamp can cause problems. Give them the new passport and show the first if questioned. Make sure the country issuing this second passport is a country who citizens do not require an advance VISA to visit Israel!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

You should contact the relevant authorities in Jordan. Generally you need to present the passport with your valid visa when leaving any country you are visiting.

Worst case, you have to pay for a new US passport. . . . or travel to Israel on your current US passport and use the other country's passport for travel to other Arab countries.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

It is best to enter and exit a country with the same passport. So you are probably best off using your second passport for coming and going into Israel. If you cross into Jordan via the Allenby bridge your passport will be stamped so unless you arriving to Jordan by plane you should also use your 'other passport' there as well. I would also post this question on the Jordanian forum of TA.

Chana

Israel

California
Level Contributor
114 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

Pikzikat, chana and rdglady,

ideally, i would use the second passport to enter and exit the borders (i am not planning to fly, i live in amman which is very close to the allenby bridge/king hussein border).

I would rather use the US passport to travel everywhere (inlcd arab countries) as my hubby and kids also use the same. would be comliplicated in future when i travel with them using my "second passport" while they are all on US passports.

rdglady, tx for the note on Jordan stamping in all passports. what do you mean by carrying" 2 passports"? i have 3 passports now - one US, one other country (no need visa, new, no stamps, issued in April 2011) and the third one is the expired one of the second country (expired feb 2011). do you mean show them both the new and expired passport of the second country or do you mean show them the US passport and the second (new) passport?

if i use only the second passport. and i show them the expired one to prove it is a valid genuine passport, like you say, i would still have a hard time explaining how i got into jordan because in both these passports, i do not have any stamps of jordan. i have been using only my US passports entering and exiting jordan several times.

also, is there much a difference i leave for the border this thursday or friday? the guidebook says on friday, border at allenby closes at 2pm?

i also learnt from friends that ATM machines in Jeruselam shut down from 2-3pm on friday to sat evening. which adds an urgency to get to jeruselem by thursday or friday morning latest? is this true?

is the exchange rate real bad if i have to change dollars to shekels?

i suppose this may not be the best place to ask but since i am at it: how do i get from amman to the border? bus or taxi? from where?

thanks so much!!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

Not sure where you heard that ATM machines shut down - this is not true - there may be a minor, occasional issue, perhaps only for a given bank - but ATMs operate 24/7 just like anywhere else in the world.

Also, not clear what you mean about the exchange rate being "real bad" the dollar has not been doing very well, all over the world - this applies here too. The exchange rate is static - it is reset daily according to currency trends.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

An expired passport has no value. Carry our second, so questions as to how you got into Jordan, if asked can be answered! Who ever told you ATMS shut down on the Sabbath had no idea what they were talking about. They operate all the time ( unless they run out of money!)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

Friday is a busy day at Allenby bridge so unless you want to spend most of the day crossing you are better off coming on Thursday. There is no problem crossing with a different passport than your family. Many families in the world have spouses from different countries and thus different passport nationalities.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

Friday is a busy day at Allenby bridge so unless you want to spend most of the day crossing you are better off coming on Thursday. There is no problem crossing with a different passport than your family. Many families in the world have spouses from different countries and thus different passport nationalities.

Chana

Israel

9. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 18:35
10. Re: two passports - how to use them at borders??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 20:05