We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
38 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

Does anyone know if this location has enough water to do a baptism in October 2011? I have heard the water sometimes is too low to do this.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

I'd strongly urge you to refrain from baptizing at Qasr al-Yahud. The quality of the water of the Jordan River at that spot is questionable to stay the least.

Feel free to visit this spot, but do your baptisms at the Yardenit baptismal site further north on the Jordan River.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

Yikes, you might need special health insurance if you get in the water at Qasr al-Yahud :) The water is really polluted there.

Dave suggested the Yardenit baptismal site which is where thousands of people go. This place is properly set up with access to the water, steps, parking, etc The water here is much, much cleaner as it is just leaving the Sea of Galilee.

Another alternative is to go to the Jordan River before it reaches the Sea of Galilee. The water there is cold and clean although quite silty. It can be accessed from several of the kibbutzim in the Hula valley. There are no services here though and you would just be getting into the river wherever there is a path.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

As one who was baptized and survived at Qasr al-Yahud I can say the water was silty but for me the experience far out weighed any "risk". There are steps down to the water and I changed clothes in the restroom. The site is quite nice and was stiil being worked on when I was there in April. After my baptisim I was told by the soldiers that prior arrangements are needed in order to go in the water but I saw no signs and was in and out before anyone said anything. For me this spot was far more spiritual than the Yardenit site

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

Word's out that the Qasr al-Yahud site is now open for visitors daily, without prior arrangements necessary. I still don't suggest immerision in the Jordan River there due to health concerns. Visit Qasr al-Yahud as the traditional site of the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist, but if, you, yourself, want to immerse in the waters of the Jordan, do it at the Yardenit site.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
38 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

Thanks everyone for you information. I'll will pass this along to the person wanting to do the baptism and let them decide what to do. Do any of you know if there is enougth water there in October if they decide to go ahead and do it anyway?

6. Re: Qasr al-Yahud baptism site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 02:17