We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

I'm ready to book a trip to Israel and am looking for some advice/help to decide what and how to do it.

I'm a 27 year old single guy from California and would be traveling alone for leisure. I definitely want to stay in Tel Aviv as it seems to be a modern lively city. I haven't booked any flights or hotels or made any itineraries, but I want to leave as soon as possible maybe this November for 7-10 days. I'd like to stay in a more modern hotel like The Diaghilev or something similar with modern amenities. I know it might be last minute and may cost me more, but it's ok because I've set aside money to travel.

I really don't know exactly what I'm going to do once I arrive there, but I guess I'm just kind of going on a whim. I know I'd like to take a trip to Jerusalem and see the sites, but I'd also like to have some fun.

Some questions:

1. Would Tel Aviv, Israel be a fun place for a single male traveling alone? 2. Is it easy to meet people and make acquaintances? 3. Is it expensive? 4. Is November a good time to go? 5. Should I go through a travel agency to get the best deals?

Any friendly advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

It's a mistake to stay in Tel Aviv for the entire duration of your visit. For a 10-day trip, you should absolutely stay a few nights in Jerusalem. And to be honest, I'd even suggest a couple of nights in the north as well in order to properly experience the great diversity our small country has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

I agree with Dave. It's your trip, obviously, but it would be a shame to come all the way to Israel and not really see it. You can't effectively see the North without spending a couple of days up there, and Jerusalem is worth staying at. All three are utterly different. For such a small country (about the size of New Jersey), there is such diversity.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

Yea I believe I'm starting to realize that. It would be a shame to go all the way over there and not see as much as possible. I just want to do it effectively and not be too stressed out and frustrated trying to coordinate everything.

I'm trying to put together a tentative itinerary. Just a general outline I'm thinking Jerusalem for 2-3 days, Tel Aviv for a few days, and a few days in the North. Not sure in what order because I don't know yet the distances between this areas but maybe Tel Aviv last to have some fun before heading home? Eilat sounds nice but I think it's a ways to get there.

What ya think?

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

Skip Eilat on this trip. You're right -- it's fun, but too far.

Given that you want to end with fun, I'd follow this order:

• Start with Jerusalem for 2-3 days. Take a cab there from the airport, or a sherut (group taxi), which is far cheaper, but will take longer. Having a car in Jerusalem is just a hassle.

• Unless you do it as a day trip from Jerusalem through a group tour (which is possible), rent a car on your last day and drive that morning to the Dead Sea and Masada.

• Drive north using the rental car, and base yourself in the Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) region. Did you ever write me for my guide? It has some ideas of places to stay for a couple of nights.

• Drive from the north to Tel Aviv. There are places you can see on the way, foremost among them Caesarea if you can hide your luggage (some break-ins there).

• Drop the car off when you arrive in Tel Aviv. Again, it's a hassle to have a car there, and you can take a cab to the airport from there.

That would make a great trip.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,885 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Sea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee
1,892 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Kinneret
Kinneret
Northern District, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

If you still want to stay all or most nights in Tel Aviv you can take a 1-2 days tour-bus to the north and see the main sites. The same can be done for Jerusalem. No coordination or planning. All options have their pros and cons. This way you can scan what is to see and come back for a longer trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

That is very doable for Jerusalem, though I think Jerusalem has its own charm at night. But to see the North on day trips from Tel Aviv, while possible, means a 2-3 hour bus ride each way each day. That's a huge waste of limited travel time, in my view. But yes, it is your trip to do in the way that fits you.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

Doug I think that order sounds good to me so far.

I'm looking at the different tours offered when in Jerusalem. Such as a 2-day tour that covers Jerusalem Old and New on the first day, Masada and the Dead Sea on the second day. Not sure if this is a group or private tour. What should I make sure a tour covers to get the best experience in my time frame?

While I don't think I'd want to get a rental while in Jerusalem It probably would be best to get one to head up North. Is it difficult to travel the roads and understand the road signs as I've NEVER driven by myself in a foreign land? So I would get the rental in Jerusalem to head North, then to Tel Aviv and leave the rental in Tel Aviv correct? What would the rental cost me per day?

Doug I'll send you an email for the guide you're offering. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,885 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

I normally suggest that folks start in Tel Aviv and end in Jerusalem, but if you're really set on chilling out in the capital of Mediterranean cool at the end of the trip, then you can leave it as you planned.

You can do a full-day group tour of Jerusalem in the Old City. In addition, try and get tickets for the Western Wall Tunnel tour and definitely visit the Jerusalem Archaeological Park (Davidson Center) and the City of David. In the New City, the highlights you shouldn't miss are the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial and the Israel Museum.

Taking a day tour to Masada and the Dead Sea from Jerusalem makes sense.

If you do want to tour Galilee independently, then you could certainly start in Jerusalem and return the car when you get to Tel Aviv. There's plenty to see and keep you busy in Israel's northern region. Consider renting a car from Eldan, an Israel-based agency.

Mentioned in this post
Western Wall
Western Wall
8,667 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
The Jerusalem Hostel
The Jerusalem Hostel
399 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Eldan Hotel
Eldan Hotel
884 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
David Dead Sea Resort & Spa
David Dead Sea Resort...
3,083 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,885 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,283 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Israel Museum
Israel Museum
3,912 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Galilee
Galilee
Israel
Israel
Middle East
19. Re: Single Guy Traveling Alone To Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:19