We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

Hello,

I'm new on this forum. I hope someone will help me. I am going to Israel for holiday with my husband btw 5th Nov-16th. Our itinerary is in this order - Tel Aviv,Nazareth,Sea of Galilee,Jerusalem,Dead Sea,Tel Aviv. We are doing a christian tour kinda thing, going to some historical sites in the bible. We are struggling with 2 problems.

1.we are renting a car and we heard that israeli car companies don't allow their cars to drive to palestinian territories. we wanted to go from jerusalem to dead sea direct using short cut and I think we may go into those territories. So is it really true?We also want to visit bethlehem. Will this be a problem? any info on general israeli car policy will be great. (we are french,chinese)..

2. Shabbat - we will be in jerusalem on friday which is shabbat. can anyone recommend a place we can go for food on friday evening? We are happy to have shabbat dinner or buffet. Just no Italian or any other cuisine..while in Israel,we ideally would like to eat the local food..

Thanks!

Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

thanks everyone for your help - waiting for exact address and driving directions from the hotel.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

val,

You asked about bargaining at the Cardo shops.

First of all, these shops are quite pricey, and you may be able to find items less expensively elsewhere. I am not sure about bargaining - I guess you could try!

Where you definitely can (and are expected to) bargain hard are the shops in the shouk in the Old City. Some of the shop owners are quite aggressive, so be prepared.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

I have at long last got the address of the Murad Resort hotel, it is..... Beit Sahour St., 933 Bethlehem. For your ease, my earlier question to the audience was....Can I take an Israeli hire car to this hotel. Really struggling to get an answer from the hotel as you can tell by the time it has taken me to get an address. Guess this may be telling me something!

Grateful for any intel on this.

Thanks

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

Indigogrrl, in the shouk at the old city,do you think it is fair to say on general,one can reduce price by 50%? I mean how much do they normally jack up by? ( Based on previous experience and knowledge that the amount hike up in such markets are nothing less than 50%) pls correct me if I am wrong about this shouk in jerusalem..!:)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

Darren--if they list a Bethlehem address ( and they do so on the website too) I would be 99% sure they are in the PA autonomous zone. That means no Israeli rental. There are a few Arab rental companies in Jerusalem that rent yellow vehicle plates that supposedly have insurance. If you went that route I would

a. get it in writing from the company

b. verify what kind of service they have if you break down. If you are going to be far from Jerusalem and breakdown are they going to have someone more loal come or do you have to wait for someone to come from Jerusalem?

It may be easier to take an Arab cab to the hotel.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

hmm thought as much. The hotel looks really fun for the children. Our plan is to end up driving down to Masala and then on to Eilat so I think that answers your point on break down cover etc.

We are a family of 5 and I am taking a bike too! (I am a triathlete and am racing in Eilat) so my plan was to get a people carrier from the airport, drive to the hotel and then then on from there for the rest of the trip. I guess other options are to get a taxi to the hotel from the airport (any ideas of rough cost of this? Guess I need to get two taxis, one to the border taxi and then one onto the hotel?). Then if I want to get a car to drive all the way down to Eilat it is possibly better to go back to the airport to get a car so that I can easily return it at the end of the trip before I fly out again.

What do you think?

Cheers

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,761 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

Renting a car for the drive to Eilat makes sense for you, especially since you will be transporting a bike and driving yourself will be much less expensive than taking a taxi or a paid driver.

You do not need to go back to the airport to pick up a car - you can start your rental in Jerusalem and then return the car at the airport. There are no drop charges in Israel so you can rent in one spot and return in another. What you will have to pay is an airport surcharge since one end of your rental will be at the airport.

The base taxi fare from the airport to Jerusalem (any point in Jerusalem) on Shabbat is 297 NIS - you will have to add a small surcharge for each suitcase and for passengers after the first two. I am sure there will also be a surcharge for the bike, but have no idea what that will be.

Since there are five of you ask the dispatcher to call for a larger taxi - there are mini-vans that are taxis and will be large enough to accommodate your whole party. Make sure you only go to the official taxi stand right outside the terminal.

Yes, you will have to get another taxi to take you from the checkpoint to your hotel. It may be worthwhile to contact the hotel and see if they can help you with that.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

Thanks that was really helpful. I have searched loads of car hire companies and the cheapest way of getting a people carrier is actually to get it from the airport and have it for longer. Therefore my final question on this topic is..........If I drove the hire car from the airport to Jerusalem (Europcar are cheapest and they have no depot in Jerusalem) is there anywhere I can sensibly leave it, eg at the check point and then take a taxi to the Murad Resort hotel?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

You could leave the car at the crossing to Bethlehem free of charge. There is a parking lot nearby. All you will need to do is cross over and hire a taxi to your final destination.

Chana

Israel

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: car rental & shabbat questions-pls help,1st time to Israel!

Thanks everyone, got all the intel I need!