We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

As things stand now, the Histadrut labor federation plans a strike tomorrow, Monday. If the plan goes ahead, all the banks will be closed. Dan and Egged bus companies will strike, as will Israel Railways, the stock exchange and other enterprises.

If you're making plans for tomorrow, make sure to check later today whether the strike is indeed going ahead - and make arrangements accordingly.

Edited: 06 November 2011, 09:59
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Just to add that I now see that the planned strike will include BEN GURION AIRPORT ....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,981 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

The strike will shut down the entire public sector of the country. It is scheduled to start at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning and as usually happens with strikes, we will only know for sure at that hour, unless an agreement is made today at some point. Tourist attractions will be open but getting there may be problematic if you do not have a car.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

The strike, if it happens, will also affect the sea ports - so at this time it's not clear what will happen with cruise ships, cruise tours, etc.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Wow, if this strike affects Ben Gurion Airport, how will this affect me? I am using Nesher to get to the airport and my flight leaves at 0720 via Lot Polish.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Hi Ted - you must stay updated through the day. At present, the strike is on and, to the best of my understanding, your flight will not be able to depart.

As Chana points out, sometimes a strike can be called off at the last moment.

If we hear of any change during the day, we'll update here.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Wow this is not good. What's the latest today I would know?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,326 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Ted, in addition to following here--I assume PRSV will keep updating based on the Hebrew press I suggest you call Nesher ( or go over to them, they are on Ben Yehuda, right off of King George --second floor, look up there is a sign in their window) and see what they have to say!

Gl3
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

"The Union of Local Authorities in Israel has filed an injunction against the strike, the organization said in a statement released Sunday.

A discussion of the injunction was scheduled to begin at around 6 p.m. on Sunday at the National Labor Court, according to the statement."

From Jerusalem Post

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Since your flight is scheduled for 7:20 - I would check with the airline and also the airport web-site - it is possible that it will be moved up so that it will depart early - before the strike.

If you find out that it is make sure to keep Nesher in the loop as well - if flights are being moved up the airport will be very busy and security will take even longer. The one plus is that LOT flights do not check in on the 3rd floor with all the other airlines, but rather on the first floor (if I'm not mistaken) - but definitely in a separate area of the terminal.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,326 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strike tomorrow - no banks, buses, trains?

Globes

globes.co.il is a good website to follow the strike. Upper left hand corner click for English!

Oreet has a good point that Nesher is going to be a zoo. If your flight is leaving early and you can possibly swing it--I'd go for a private taxi. I would also plan on getting to the airport more than 3 hours before. Make sure EVERYTHING you could need is in your carryon ==just in case you make a flight and your luggage gets to follow a few days later.