We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

Ok, I hate to do this, because this is a site with millions of reviews (and lately I feel like I have read them all), but when it comes to picking a hotel in Ein Bokek I just can't make up my mind.

Tel Aviv for 2 nights at the Marrioot, booked and done. 3 nights at the Abraham hostel in Jerusalem booked. 2 nights at the Queen of Sheba in Eilat, taken care of, and our last 2 nights at the Artists Colony Inn in Safed (can't wait to get there).

I have my entire 2-week trip booked, all but for 2 nights that we plan to stay at the Dead Sea. I try to take the reviews with a grain of salt, but lately all the constant negative reviews are really starting to get to me, I'm tempted to just sleep in my car at this point ;)

I liked the Crown Plaza at first, then the Lot, then the Meridian and the Isrotel but it's been back and forth, back and forth.

This is really unlike me, normally I can find a place and book it and be happy, but I am stumped and reaching out for some advice since everyone here has been really helpful.

I really don't care about the price, I'm ready to spend $300 easy a night, I just want to be happy with the food, the room and the service (that seams to be the biggest vise lately about all the hotels is the staff).

So Israel regulars, if you were going to stay in Ein Bokek right now, which is your go-to place?

Thanks for understanding. I've done my research, but now I want to hear it from a regular if you have the time :)

Thanks

Ryan

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

The Isrotel and Meridien are fine hotels, but they are located across the road from the beach itself at the Dead Sea. If you presumably are staying down at Ein Bokek in order to actually enter the Dead Sea, I suggest you stay at the Crowne Plaza Dead Sea hotel - it's one of the very few properties located directly on the Dead Sea with it's own private beach. I find the food to be pretty good there too.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

I agree with Dave's comments.

For me, having direct access is important. They also have great freshwater pools, a variety of food and snack choices, a nice spa, and is within walking distance of some souvenir shops.

Dr. Z

.....in San Diego

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

I would pick one that is located on the beach and not across the street and I would pick one that is not of the big ones and more intimate.

My suggestion will be Hod.

http://www.hodhotel.co.il/

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

Unless you have a special reason for staying 2 nights in the Dead Sea - one night is enough for dipping in the sea.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

Thanks all :) I guess it does come down to location location location. In the end I guess you do want the beach to be "right there" when you are there for a short time.

I had not considered the Hod, it looks quite good, thanks for that link.

We are staying 2 nights because we will be coming from Eilat, and we do not plan to rush out of our room there and because we will probably hang out for part of the afternoon before we leave for Ein Bokek.

And because after that first night at the Dead Sea we plan to wake up early to catch the Massada Sunrise and visit the Nature Reserve, so we thought 2 nights would be best after all that, instead of packing up and moving on so quickly.

Much thanks for everyone's input, everyone here is so helpful :)

Ryan

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

Definitely use only the Crowne Plaza or the Hod in your case. When you finish touring Masada and Ein Gedi Nature Reserve, you can then come back to your hotel and enjoy the Dead Sea bathing at no additional cost. The hotels in Ein Bokek also offer the most "upscale" Dead Sea bathing experience available - in fact many actually buy a day pass to either of these two hotels for that reason, even if they do not plan on staying overnight there.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

It is great to have your own private beach but even if you stay at tbe Meridien the beach is less than 5 minutes by foot. The Crown Plaza is the best hotel at Ein Boqek, the spa at the Hod is very nice in short all of the hotels you mentioned are more than adequete, with good service, perfect location, comfortable rooms,(Meridien had the nicest in my opinion)and tasty food.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

Not Dead Sea hotels - but I'm a bit puzzled about your choice of accommodations in Jerusalem You note that budget is not a great consideration in selecting a hotel at the Dead Sea. You will be staying at upscale hotels everywhere in Israel - except for Jerusalem. This begs the question - why?

I have not yet had the chance to visit the new Abraham Hostel - but it is clearly not in the same class as the places you will be staying everywhere else - it will be bare bones lodging right in the midst of downtown's business district. Were you aware of that when you made that choice?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

I had a feeling that question could come up. The main reason for the hostel is so that I can share with my wife a bit of that experience. When I was younger and would travel in Israel, hostels were the only places I would ever stay when going from place to place. So it is just to change up the experience a little.

I'm lucky that now I can afford to stay in nice places but I never forget that some of the best fun I ever had was staying in hostels.

And as far as this one goes it is quite nice and we have a private room. Personally I think this will be the funniest part of the trip. Specially with the party on Thursday night. I hope I can keep up with these kids, I'm not 19 anymore ;)

10. Re: Dead Sea Hotel advice from a regular

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:18