We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Al-Economy Class

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
El Al-Economy Class

Hi!

My family and I are traveling to Israel this summer and I was wondering about the seating conditions on ElAl's 747 from JFK. We have never flown to Israel so we don't know how the seats. How would they compare to a regular economy class seat here in the US. Also how is the food? Does it follow the "airplane food" joke? In addition, if we were to upgrade to business class, how much is it worth it? Thank you so much!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: El Al-Economy Class

Thank you. The website was very confusing. Anymore information you have will be welcome.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,720 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: El Al-Economy Class

Okay, I found what you are talking about regarding the upgrade and have sent you a PM.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: El Al-Economy Class

HI! As Oreet indicated--I just landed back in the US--The business section of the 747-400 has outlets. It is my understanding that the economy section does not.

I am also glad to see that the post from the social media manager has been restored. I have been on TA a long time and read threads other than Israel. It is NOT a policy of TA to remove posts from Social Media people. If the "community" removes something, it is because a bunch of people felt it was inappropriate! I would hope that THIS community could distinguish between advertising and helping clarify a person's questions. I see nothing wrong with the re-instated post. ( and if it WAS re-instated, that means neither did TA)

Chana--can you share the info re: the upgrade. I am sure others are also interested and I can see no reason why that info should only be in a PM

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: El Al-Economy Class

Thank you so much! Bummer that the economy section of the plane does not have power, I was really hoping for it. I am surprised that they do not because the El Al website explicitly said that they do as in the link below. Anyways that post was taken down before I even got to see it, and since you all said such positive things about it, I would have liked to.

elal.co.il/ELAL/…Seats.htm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: El Al-Economy Class

Also this link.

elal.co.il/ELAL/…en_sheka.htm

Meredith, New...
Level Contributor
105 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: El Al-Economy Class

On El Al, avoid the back of the plane at all costs. That is where the Orthodox men congregate to pray during the flight and you will feel crowded if people are gathered in the aisle next to you. Other than that and the kosher food, it is just like economy on an American carrier.

If you can't fly non-stop, I would opt for a European carrier just because the stopover in Europe breaks the flight up. That 10 hours going, 12 hours returning can seem awfully long. I prefer a night flight with a sleeping pill!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: El Al-Economy Class

What do you mean by Orthodox men ? Do you mean the men who wear the black hats and black long suits, Haredi Jews?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: El Al-Economy Class

Hi! So sorry, I just have a few more questions.

1. I have been getting mixed feedback on whether the 747 has in-flight power for economy. The prevailing answer is that all but two do, but the two that do not do have VOD.

2. Is there a specific section of seats to sit in (the front, middle, or back) depending on quietness, direction food is passed out, or foot traffic?

3. Is 3 hours enough time (with possible delays) to transfer from Terminal 8 to Terminal 4 at JFK for a 7:00pm departure?

Thank you all so much for your help and helping my family get prepared for the endless flight!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: El Al-Economy Class

Flying on El Al is an experience in and of itself. The moment you arrive at check in or the gate you will begin your Israel experience. Many passengers will behave differently than they do on any other airline - they are "home" and so there will be more "traffic" up and down the aisles and people will head for the galley in between meals, etc. The answer to your number 2 - is no - there is no specific section to sit at that will be quieter, get served faster or have less foot traffic - that's just part of the experience.

I don't know how long it will take you to get from one terminal to the other at JFK , however, the guidelines are to be at the airport 3 hours before an international flight - so you may be cutting things a bit tight. I'm sure that some of our regulars with recent JFK experience can clarify this a bit.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: El Al-Economy Class

To first expand on what Oreet wrote--be sure to visit the galery yourself--there is usually drinks or snacks set out for all to help themselves!

I wouldn't want to sit near the restroom because lines form. Other than that--decide if you want to be a climber or be climbed over when your seat mate needs to get up and sit appropriately. How many are in your family? This will help determine if a middle 4 or side 3 are better for you.

Okay JFK--3 hours will work if there are no delays. My nephew came in from TLV last week and headed to Boston. His 5 hour break was down to 3 when the plane landed 2 hours late. My friend ( and everyone else) landed 2 hours late on a domestic flight due to high winds in the NY area.

Are you on one ticket or are you on 2 separate tickets. On one ticket your luggage should be sent straight through. ( but don't be surprised if EL AL doesn't page you to ask you their own questions, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't) If you have to transfer your own luggage

a. luggage carts cost $5. Have a nice clean bill ready so the machine won't reject it and you don't have to either play with singles or your credit card.

b. luggage carts go on the airtrain--the free transport from terminal to terminal

c. You will get your luggage and follow the signs to airtain. Look also for the elevator symbol. The cart will not go on the escalator. ( not a funny statement, In Germany and maybe other places they do!)

d. When you get to the airtrain terminal there are two tracks--once makes a clockwise circle and one makes a counterclockwise circle and then leaves the terminal area for other places. You want the one that is going to terminal 7 after it pulls out, ( then 5/6 and then 4) There is a red uniformed person to help you--ASK if you are not sure, if you make a mistake it is going to cost you big time.

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/jfk-airtrain-brochur…