We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of itinerary, I need help

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Change of itinerary, I need help

I thought I had my Israel itinerary sorted but I am now spending 2 extra days in Jordan prior to Israel.

I will now have 4 days in Jerusalem instead of 5 but I will not be going to the dead sea as I will have already visited the Jordan side.

3 days Tel Aviv, several things I want to do here but most of all it is a 'lie on beach with a book' for 2 days as my Itinerary prior to this will have been very intensive and I know that I will need some time to relax.

My tour to the north is now 3 instead of 4 days and it is this bit that is causing me problems (there is just so much I want to do).

Question 1: If I pick up a car in Jerusalem and return in Tel Aviv is this going to be more complicated for a novice driver than picking up in Tel ~Aviv and returning it to the airport? Every country I have visited has had excellent directions to the airport and I assume Israel is no different but dropping off at a specified time in Tel Aviv where I have never been to concerns me. I would like my time by the beach at the end of my holiday but not if it is going to cause me tension trying to find the drop off site.

Question 2: As I only have 3 days to tour north (3 1/2 if I use the Airport route route) would I be better to stick to the Galilee/ Golan area and omit the Med area (Akko, Rosh Hanika, Caesarea).

My interests are ruins, history, wars (ancient up until WW2) and nature (waterfalls, trees, plants etc). I am not religious but some of the areas remind me of my childhood at Sunday School and I love visiting all places of worship but not interested in where Jesus was baptised (Jordanians say it was Jordan!!!) etc.

I will be travelling in June and need to secure lodging ASAP as some of the places I looked at were fully booked. I am travelling on a budget but my splurge is Hagoshrim in Kiryat Shmona (expensive for me as I am travelling solo and they don't have single rooms)

Any advice welcome

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Golan Hotel
Golan Hotel
186 Reviews
Tiberias, Israel
Kiryat Shmona
Kiryat Shmona
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

I have no doubt you will enjoy the extra two days in Jordan. It is understandable that you would like to rest on the beach but three days is a bit much for sitting on the beach in Tel Aviv. I would shorten to 2 days and add an extra day in the north.

It is not clear what you mean about the car. Are you planning on turning your itinerary around to suit the car return? The rental agencies in Tel Aviv are open until 6 and many are located in areas that, although are easy to locate, will shorten your day of return because you must be there before 6 and take into consideration traffic. The airport is very clearly marked on all expressways and highways and the rental agencies are open 24/7.

If you are set on shortening the north visit, you can still visit Akko Rosh Hanikra and Caesarea, touring other areas on the remaining two days -- and driving back to the center of the country on the fourth day. Since you are driving you will not have to depend on other transportation and can be flexible with departure time (if you are an early riser you will be able to get more in a day, than a late riser -- sites open at 8a.m.).

Hotels are not booked yet for June as most have yet to publish they rates for that month. If you are looking on-line and find fully booked, try contacting the hotel directly, you will most likely find that the rates have yet to be uploaded onto the internet.

Remember if you don't get to see/do everything you want, you will have what to do on your next trip.

Chana

Israel

I will be travelling in June and need to secure lodging ASAP as some of the places I looked at were fully booked. I am travelling on a budget but my splurge is Hagoshrim in Kiryat Shmona (expensive for me as I am travelling solo and they don't have single rooms)

Any advice welcome

Thank you

Edited: 20 March 2012, 22:01
Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Rosh Hanikra
Rosh Hanikra
Caesarea
Caesarea
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Kiryat Shmona
Kiryat Shmona
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

I disagree with Chana on the booking of rooms for June. Last year we booked our rooms for the summer months in February and the year before also and still we had to really be diligent to get into the area we wanted. I have had a heck of a time getting the hotels I wanted this summer, just for one room and have already booked hotels for another trip in October (after the high holidays but still had very limited choices as hotels were already filling with groups). I would suggest you don't wait to book accommodation. If you are a beach person and want to stay near the beach in Tel Aviv, many of the beachfront hotels under $300 a night are already booked. You could consider staying a few blocks back from the beach which drops the price considerably and it is easier to get a room there. You will enjoy HaGoshrin in the Galilee. It is in a beautiful setting. Right next door is the wonderful restaurant Dag AlHaDan, a fantastic fresh fish restaurant.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 03:34
Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Galilee
Galilee
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,494 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

Ruins, history, nature: look at the National Parks web site:

http://www.parks.org.il/BuildaGate5/general2/company_search_tree.php?mc=378~All

Note the "Money saving ticket" offer.

Dead Sea : the sea is the same on both sides but there are important historical sites on the Israeli side that you should note miss, particularly Massada.

Budget accomodations: Look at the Youth Hostels - they are open to everyone and have private rooms:

http://www.iyha.org.il

Dropping off car in Tel-Aviv: tell us where that rental agency is and we will give you detailed driving instructions :-)

Edited: 21 March 2012, 07:07
Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,922 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Massada Guest House
Massada Guest House
156 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

For the end of your stay, you might consider somewhere along the coast other than Tel Aviv. There are hotels near the beaches all the way from Ashkelon in the south to Nahariya in the north, and many of them will be cheaper than staying in Tel Aviv. Most of the car rental agencies have offices in other cities along the coast and you'd probably save quite a bit, even if you need to take a couple of taxis.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Ashkelon
Ashkelon
Southern District, Israel
Nahariya
Nahariya
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

Thank you all.

I have decided to return the car to the airport as I don't feel comfortable returning it to a big city that I don't know (even with directions, mbgg thanks for the offer) Chana, yes, I am considering turning my itinerary around to suit the return of the vehicle. However that is not due to opening times but logistics as I think it would be easier to navigate my return to the airport rather than a city I don't know.

mbgg, I know there are other things to see around the Dead Sea in Israel but sadly I just don't have the time which is why I am dropping it. Your Web Site for the National Parks has really complicated things for me as I want to do it all!!!! Looking at the post about 'Streams of the North' and I am even more confused as there is so much I want to try and fit in.

I don't know if I will return to Israel to see the attractions I missed as I am retired and there are so many places I want to visit - I'm a traveller at heart.

I have taken Chana's advice and dropped 1 day from Tel Aviv. I am considering staying at the Beach Front Hostel on Herbert Samuel St which is well within budget and close to the beach. What do you think of location?

I have found several car hire hire companies but the one I am looking at, as it looks most convenient is in Tel Aviv beach downtown. No actual address - sorry but I have never done this before in a country I don't know.

As I am now renting the car for 4 days and not 3 I will follow my original itinerary:

Day 1 pick up car and drive to Akko, Rosh Hanikra and stay overnight Erna Hotel

Day 2-3: drive to Hagoshrim Kiryat Shmona for 2 days, visit Tel Dan, Nimrod , Banias ,Gamla, and Capernaum

Day 4 Tiberias?, Beit Shean, Zippori, stay Zichron Yaakov for 1 night.

Day 5: Morning drive to and tour Caesarea, return car to airport at 2 .30pm for flight at 18.15.

Can I do this in my time frame and what am i missing?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,922 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Herbert Samuel Jerusalem
Herbert Samuel Jerusalem
686 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Rosh Hanikra
Rosh Hanikra
Kiryat Shmona
Kiryat Shmona
Tel Dan
Tel Dan
165 Reviews
Galilee, Israel
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Beit She'an
Beit She'an
Zichron Yaakov
Zichron Yaakov
Haifa District, Israel
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,494 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

Beachfront Hostel: I am not familiar with it, but the location couldn't be better !

"Can I do this in my time frame and what am i missing?"

You have a very .good itinerary. As you realized after looking at the National Parks website you can't see everything, but you have definitely picked the highlights ! Whether you see everything on your list depends on the time you spend at each site. Be flexible and don't rush ! You will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Beachfront Hostel
Beachfront Hostel
473 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,292 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

What kind of car are you renting? Make sure that EVERYTHING in it is hidden in the trunk prior to your visit to Caesarea?

Also, what day of the week corresponds to your Day 1?

Mentioned in this post
Caesarea
Caesarea
Haifa District, Israel
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

Day 1 is Thursday 28th June

I am very street wise and never leave anything exposed either at home or abroad.

Mbgg, Good to know the the location is ok, the hostel is basic but it has a single room un suite, ac and wifi so I am happy.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

What kind of a room you have booked on the Beachfront hotel? I see on their website that they have dorms with shared bathrooms.

Mentioned in this post
Beachfront Hostel
Beachfront Hostel
473 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of itinerary, I need help

The Beachfront hotel is on Trumpeldor and Herbert Samuel' across the street from the Sea View Suits. It was funny looking residential building and was renovated. Their breakfast is at Yotveta Cafe.

Mentioned in this post
Beachfront Hostel
Beachfront Hostel
473 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel