We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars?

sarasota,FL
Level Contributor
175 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars?

In reading previous posts, I saw that people "loaded" their ATM card with $$,etc. Can I get $$$ in Israel with my ATM card? Never tried before, because it was not necessary. Now we have 2 guides that prefer USD. Do I take USD with me (long trip) or are they obtainable at Israeli banks?

So confused, suddenly!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,597 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dollars?

What you are describing sounds like a private ATM and not a bank ATM. In almost 100% of the time a bank ATM will be attached to a bank branch (there are a few exceptions - the airport, the Jerusalem central bus station, etc.)

If you are using a private ATM odds are the fees will be higher - they are for locals.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Dollars?

I don't recall if the ATM that I referred to was attached to a bank or not. There are at least two ATMs at the location on King David. In doing some online searching, the location seems to correspond with where there is supposed to be a Leumi Bank. I used the ATM fairly early in the morning so if there was a bank at that location it may not have been open. Hence, I may not have noticed that it was there. I used the ATM to get shekels. My travel companion needed some US dollars for the trip home. The ATM allowed you to choose which currency you wanted. I would assume, as Oreets stated, that the rate for getting US dollars may not have been particularly favorable, but my friend only wanted a relatively small amount. The ATM was conveniently located for us, a short walk from the King Solomon Hotel.

13. Re: Dollars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 10:21