We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
36 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

I have been advised not to eat any fruits or veggies while traveling through Israel, unless they are cooked. I live on salads daily, and will feel very deprived if this is truly the case! Any words of wisdom here?

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

Who gave you this advice???

Salads are extremely popular here, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have never heard of any concern about eating them, either from natives or tourists.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

I agree with IndigoGrrl. It would a pity to deprive yourself in advance of the great fresh fruit and veggies here.

Some visitors to Israel develop a stomach complaint, which in my opinion is more a matter of DIFFERENT foods, water and so on than anything wrong with them. If you do encounter this problem, you'd be advised to stay off fresh produce for a few days - but as I said I don't see any need to do this in advance.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

The fruits and vegetables in Israel are of superb quality and perfectly safe to eat. Obviously it's advisable to rinse them if you don't peel them, but COOKING them?

Do you think that we eat our famous Jaffa oranges cooked?!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

OK, another unfounded wrong idea about Israel. Not eating fruits and vegetables is a real punishment. You'll see when you get here.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

I agree with other comments...the fresh fruit and vegetables in Israel are one of the highlights! This is a nation that eats salad for breakfast so you will definately be missing out if you don't get stuck in! I would eat the hummus and falafel sparingly though as that can give the unaccustomed stomach a hard time!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

I'll join in with the others - this has to be added to the list of bizarre and terrible advice people get before coming to Israel.

Stop worrying - enjoy the salads - the fresh fruit and vegetables here are wonderful, very fresh, and unbelievably tasty - enjoy, you'll find salads everywhere. I suggest you visit Machane Yehuda - the outdoor market in Jerusalem - you'll be able to munch your way through the market where much of the produce you find there will have been picked within 24 hours.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

Fruits and vegetables in the market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SH5XwE-LdA

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

I'm wondering who gave you that advice. I wouldn't trust any other sort of advice from that person concerning a visit to Israel.

As everyone else has said - What you've been told is nonsense.

Our fruits and vegetables are the best quality and completely safe to eat. Israel is a vegetarian's paradise and our Mediterranean diet is full of delightful salads. You won't go hungry.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

Can I add my name to the list of people who was astonished to read this. The fruits and vegetables are out of this world in Israel. In fact, the biggest problem I have is that when I return to the US I hate the peaches, tomatoes and some other things because they are absolutely tasteless in comparison.

You don't need to believe us. Go into a restaurant in a tourist section and listen to a minute to the large percentage of people eating huge salads and speaking languages other than Hebrew. IN fact, if you look at some of the trip reports currently being posted the writers talk about their involvement with Israeli food and their enjoyment of said food.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,449 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh fruits & veggies in Israel

Is it possible that the poster meant this...

Do not eat any fresh veggies bought off the roadside stands off of Hwy 90 without washing them in clean water?

I have heard this before but it's different than what they are writing.

Dr. Z