We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if I can rent a car that can be driven to Efrat (and covered by insurance). Budget rep says vehicles may not be driven into West Bank; I'm still trying to reach Eldan rep. Also, I had been thinking we'd drive from Efrat to Mitzpe Ramon directly, rather than going back through Jerusalem, but that seems to be out of the question with a rental car.

Any advice appreciated.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

YES rental cars can be driven to Efrat. Both Budget and Eldan can. Rental cars can not go into PA areas. These include but are not limited to Bethlehem, Ramallah, Jericho, Nabulus, Tulkarem, Jenin, Kalkiya etc. They CAN go into areas that are under Israeli control.

Here is Eldan's terms. .

http://www.eldan.co.il/en/terms-rental.aspx

See the last paragraph of section 4.

Budget's terms were a pop-up 1/2 through a reservation. No URL but here is the copied part.

Rental Terms & Conditions

* A rental day is 24 hours. Additional hours will be charged at a 1/3 of the daily rental rate.

* 1 & 2 rental days are limited to 250 Km per day.

* Monthly rentals include a kilometrage of 4,000 km. (four thousands km.) only.

* Prices do not include Gasoline. We suggest returning the car with a full tank, as an additional fueling charge will apply otherwise. It is the client’s responsibility to check and verify what kind of Gasoline is to be used for the car. Client will be charged for any damage caused to the car due to use of wrong Gasoline type.

* Customer must present a personal valid Major Credit Card, ElECTRONIC Card are not accepted .

* No Cross Border traffic is permitted; It is strictly prohibited to drive into Palestinian Authority

territory.

* Budget reserve the right to substitute similar car models to those shown in the Web Site. Pictures are

for demonstration only.

* The rental is subject to all terms & conditions as appears in the rental agreement.

* Rates and conditions may change without prior notice.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

As rdglady has stated - there is no problem driving anywhere that is under Israeli control, including Efrat, Masada, the Jordan valley, Mitzpe Ramon, etc.

You may not take an Israeli rental car into areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Wow. This group is great. Thank you so much rdglady and debi_zyx! I'm surprised that the agents I spoke with at Eldan and Budget did not know this (although I reached the late night shift).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,641 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

The problem is probably one of terminology and what the individuals mean when they say West Bank.

When they say West Bank they are thinking of areas that are under the complete control of the Palestinian Authority - not historical definitions.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,904 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Agents in outside Israel don't always know the geography of Israel. Any as such as Efrat, under full Israel control is a go and safe,as far as driving goes. You can always use the term Area A when asking regarding to visits in the Disputed Territories under Israeli auspices.

Enjoy your visit.

Chana

Israel

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Thank you both, so much. Believe it or not, I was talking to agents at the Ben Gurion airport! I really appreciate all of your help.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

>>I had been thinking we'd drive from Efrat to Mitzpe Ramon directly

This brings us back to a thread from a few weeks ago:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k533…

Driving in a straight line - as near as possible - from Efrat to Beersheva - means using Road 60. The consensus on that thread was that rental cars cannot be driven on Road 60. I'm only repeating what was said on that thread as I personally have no knowledge of this, since I don't drive.

I wondered about this, because Road 60 is under Israeli control and Egged buses use that route.

Perhaps someone can clarify?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,904 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Route 60 south of Gush Etzion is in Area B and thus not acceptable for most rentals to drive in. The route you refer to is south of this area to Beer Sheva in the south. If the Op is coming from Emek HaEla or from Jerusalem there is no problem driving on that portion of road 60.

Egged bus routes should not be used as an indication of which area is under Israeli (partial or complete) as Egged runs buses to all of the Jewish settlements throughout Judea and Samaria, no matter who has the authority in the area.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 03 May 2012, 08:11
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,641 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Double check with your rental company - and this has nothing to do with driving to Efrat - but I believe that you are only restricted from driving a rental into area C - so area B should also be fine.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any rental cars permitted to be driven into Efrat?

Thanks, Chana.

The OP mentions driving from Efrat to Mitzpe Ramon, and the most direct route is 60 all the way to Beersheva (through Kiryat Arba, bypassing Hebron). That's what my comments refer to, not the part from Jerusalem to Efrat.

So it seems that the way to go is 367 from Gush Etzion to Ha'ela junction, 38 from there to Beit Guvrin, 35 to Kiryat Gat.